Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV dual door latch kit

Default Model IV dual door latch kit

Hello all,
    I'm installing the doors on my vintage kit (1992) and do not have any instructions or build pics of the optional dual latch kit that came with the airplane. Forum searches haven't helped. Someone went to a great deal of trouble designing this system and I'm losing sleep trying to figure out how it all goes together. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gary
    Classic IV
    912UL
    delbelbelluz@rogers.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Model IV dual door latch kit

Gary, went through my entire model 4 Classic manual. Being it's an option I didn't order I was pretty sure I'd not seen it in my manual during my build. I was right. Sorry. They are good latches too although a little heavier and complex than needed.

Someone will read this post and come up with photos or manual pages covering this latch.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I'm in the same exact boat. I have all the parts you do as well and directions were not included with my set either so hopefully someone will post atleast some pics.

I may just go with aftermarket latches. Look much simpler - http://www.murlewilliamsaviation.com/

Geowitz - That's what I'm using and they work great. Latch securely and you have a neat little option of opening the doors just a small crack to let in tons of air for ventilation. The one you have is a nice latch but adds unneeded weight and complexity.
    I think Kitfox Aircraft carries the exact same set up so you have two good outlets for them.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The dual latch system came as an option but were not well recieved because they often left a gap at the bottom of the door. The lower latch came to help with that, but I guess the side mid door pins were then thought to be redundant and sort of disappeared from the scene.

For weight considerations and the fact that they are not as successful as intended, go with the bottom system.

Lowell

It certainly is a finicky assembly. Every single part needs to be reworked before it comes together. The door frame with skin and window mounted must match the fuselage opening perfectly before attaching any of the latch bits permanently. I glued the pin receptacles to the fuselage welded tabs so then can be knocked off if things don't work out. When it's time to rivet they won't move and screw up the pin alignment.
    The doors are a focal point on the Kitfox and I really like the solid look and feel of this latch system. Also, the handle is in the right position for opening and closing the door in flight.
    Lots of work to install but that's part of the fun.
    Geowitz...go for it! Maybe you can get these drawings from the nice people at Kitfox; D18006, D15007. My parts list says they're the ones for these latches.
    Email me for more info.
    Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images