Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 5 airspeeds, 912 Alternator check ?

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Kitfox 5 airspeeds, 912 Alternator check ?

Hi, I am going tomorrow to pick up my Kitfox Outback( series 5) . I was jut going over some details and was wondering a couple of things. I know airspeeds are aircraft specific, but I was wondering what people are getting for stall , climb, cruise, and what they are using for approach? Second I am making a check list for Start Up and I am wondering what people are doing for an alternator check ? On shutdown, I read somewhere that you should shut mags off , one then pause then the other ,then wait for prop to stop, then turn off the master in order to keep from frying the rectifier, does anyone have experience with this first hand? Thanks all in advance.

Default Re: Kitfox 5 airspeeds, 912 Alternator check ?

You can use 70mph on final because these birds slow down real nice, if landing for a short you can go down to 60 and 50 over the fence with over the runway let it go down to 40ish pull the stick back and 3point it, that's with being 3ft off the runway. For the alternator check, get a volt meter on the panel and look at that, for the first couple times you can turn off the field to see where your at, but I advise against always checking the alternator, just look at the volt meter and make sure your at the right voltage, if you really want to check toggle a power source. On shut down of the engine, I have a master switch and two mag switches, when I shut down, I idle up a bit and hit both mags off and pull back on the throttle at the same time. Than I turn off the master.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Kevin,
    I have a 4 and use about 60mph for climb,55 for approach (on final leg) and use the shutdown method you described..idle rpm,one mag off,then the other then turn off the master. It has worked well.
    If you use too much speed on approach,as I first did,you will float way down the runway. 1.3 VSO works out well for final approach speed.
    Dick

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Thanks guys , I did some slow flight with it, it stalls ,clean, power off at 37mph so I think an approach of arround 60 mph ( no flaps )would be good , and that gives allot of safety factor for gusts and such. For the alternator check, I decided to use mainly the volt meter, check before start , check after start, and then turn on some power using items,as well my plane has an alternator warning light, so I'm going to just make sure that is lit before engine start to confirm its functioning.