Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing tank liner

Default Wing tank liner

I have some older wing tanks in my model III. With the ethanol in our gas I would like to line the tanks before covering. Does anyone have any thoughts on kreem products as I do not want to cut these tanks out to replace them.

Default Re: Wing tank liner

my tanks were early 1990 era and the wings were completed and covered when i acquired the kit . they had never had any gas in them and never been sloshed . i used a epoxy that is advertised to repair motorcycle gas tanks . the epoxy can be thinned with mek and is pretty runny but with the baffles one cant be certain of the coverage . naturally it would a whole lot easier if the tanks werent installed and the coverage would be better . since then ive replaced one of the tanks with a new one that is advertised as being made with alcohol resistant resin , ill probably replace the other one next winter . i have been fortunate enough as to have used very little ethanol so i havent had any problems . we have lost most of our sources of alcohol free gas but im sure the gas ****s will take care of them soon .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

What product did you use? Do you have a link to the data sheet for it?

I need to repair 2 tanks and would like to line them with a thin layer of glass and sealer while I'm at it. My plan is to leave the tanks in the wing, peel the tops off to do the repair and then put them back together in place. That way there is no issue about not having the right twist to match the wing.

Once the lid is off I can get to all the interier surfaces then rough sand and glass. But I need an adhesive/sealer that is ethanol proof.

the epoxy i used is from a company named caswell ,lyons , new york
    www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm . if you take the top off there is no doubt as to how good the coverage is .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks for the info, checked out the link and may try the product. They mention using their product to repair failed kreem. My concern is etching the inside of the tanks for a good strong adhesion as they suggest using a hand full of dry wall screws, while the other companies are chemically etching the insides. Any thought on the etching process?

i did search for a while before i settled on the epoxy . seems there is nothing available for sealing tanks that has airplane in the description that i could find . as for etching , i didnt do any as the tanks had never had anything in them . they werent even sloshed with kreen . if you talk to any of these people that sell these tank sealers on the phone , dont mention your wanting to seal a airplane tank . they right away are thinking liability . the boat people are having a lot of trouble with the ethanol eating up their fiberglass tanks also .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa