Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Vixen Tank Removal

Default Vixen Tank Removal

My bro and I visited OSH on Saturday. Had a great time overall, and a blast talking with the fine folks at the Kitfox display. John and Deb McB and the gang were awesome as always!

While reviewing photos of our project with John McB and Papa Phil, it became clear that we need to remove our pre-96 tanks and replace them with new, post-96 tanks. It's all good - learning this after covering or screwing up the carbs and engine would have been a bummer.

I spent time Monday evening at the hangar writing out the step-by-step plan for the removal of the tanks. I've got it all figured out - I think - but I'm not sure how to free the leading edge of the tanks. I can't cut the silicone adhesive with piano wire like I'm planning to do with the trailing edge b/c the top of the leading edge of the tank is faired in with body filler. I don't want to chip away the filler, b/c I'm worried about nicking the spar. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: Vixen Tank Removal

Braided nylon or dacron string might work. I've seen it used to cut plastic. Run it over the spar between the tank and the spar and use a sawing action.

Pete
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

doing a tank replacement on my model IV i used .020 safetywire to cut the adhesive from the spars . not wanting to disturb the bondo is another thing . anything you use will require access to the top and bottom tank flanges to get the safetywire started between the tank and the spars . however you get the tank removed , be sure to reinstall the first rib spacer blocks between the rib and the tank . if those are left out , the rib will deform when the fabric is shrunk . another thing , be sure the top of the tank is smooth and free of air bublles in the fiberglass as any flaw will show thru the fabric . i filled , primed and smoothed mine before i covered it . the orginal tanks hadnt had that done and it showed , really rough right thru the fabric , but im sure you know this already from building the wings .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

OT to original question but, FWIW, I know Avid builders who put a thin layer of Ceconite non-woven polyester padding over the tank surfaces to eliminate the need for sanding perfection. Looks good.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)