Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox vs. Highlander

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kitfox vs. Highlander

Would like to get your opinions on the pros and cons of both planes.

Default Re: Kitfox vs. Highlander

There is some info in this thread:

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ght=Highlander

Keep in mind you are posting on a Kitfox board and I would venture to say 99% of us are very pleased with our Kitfox's. I know I am so I'd say the Kitfox is the better plane
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Since HD asked for opinions I guess we are allowed to respond. I'll take the Kitfox hands down. I've flown them both. Kitfox is much more responsive in all control axis which makes it much more fun to fly. Kitfox is faster. Kitfox has a stronger fuselage. Also the STOL gets thrown in our face all the time but I flew a short wing Kitfox from Phoenix to the factory fly in and back that would give the Highlanders some pause in that dept too besides being extremely fast. Build em light guys and no one can hold a candle to the Kitfox. All that being said, if the Kitfox never existed I could get by with a Highlander. But with the Kitfox we don't have to settle now do we?

Yes this is a Kitfox forum and yes most folks are extremely happy or they wouldn't be here enjoying each others company and sharing the fun. We are also happy with the factory support that comes along with every Kitfox purchase. Kitfox has sold over 5,000 kits. Highlander what, maybe 170?
    That's 5,000 potential new friends if you choose a Kitfox and they come at no additional charge. That is a lot of combined flight experience ready and willing to lend support at every step of the build and after the build as witnessed by the generosity of our membership over TeamKitfox.com's few short years on line.

Course you could fly them both and decide for yourself.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I think it probably has to do with what you want to do with the aircraft. If you operate out of short rough fields most of the time I think I would opt for the Highlander. If speed is more important then the Kitfox. They are both great aircraft.
    Dick

I was just thinking that someone should have a fly off between a 912S Highlander and a 912S Kitfox SS but since this is not likely the next best thing is to look at the manufactures performance claims. I was surprised that the take-off and landing distances were very similar, 300 feet for both take-off and landing roll for the Highlander and 290 feet take-off and 270 feet landing roll for the Kitfox SS. Take into account that manufacture's claims are usually a little on the optimistic side and are often hard to match in real world conditions. I would assume the Highlander's take-off and landing distances would actually be much less than the Kitfox for 1 simple reason, stall speed. Highlander list's stall at 32 mph, Kitfox at 41 mph. Also the Highlander's empty weight is a good bit lower so in a short take-off contest between 2 lightly loaded planes, the Highlander should be the big winner. I assume the manufactures claims were planes at full gross so the performance differences may pretty close in real world conditions. Even if the Highlander were the big winner in the short take-off and landing contest, what sacrifice is it worth in cruise speed? Highlander claims 110 mph or 10 mph or so slower than the Kitfox. This may be the real "stretch". The only Highlander in my area cruises about 90. This is more in line with a CH 701 than a Kitfox SS. Considering the Highlander wing is more like a Model 3 Kitfox than a SS, I'm not surprised at these speed numbers. From what I hear, the Kitfox SS owners are getting 110 to 125 cruise speeds. You can check with the Highlander sites and you might get a better picture of what kind of cruise speeds they are actually getting. It all comes down to what you want and what you're willing to compromise to get it. To get a very low stall speed you'll have to give up some cruise speed. (90 foot take-offs are impressive but I've never been anywhere I needed to do one) James Thomas