Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glass panel questions;

Default Re: Glass panel questions;

Steve, I have never downloaded a free program from Dynon to accomplish the regular updates. I believe you are referring to the $100 subscription updates which do require a small download program.
    Jim,
    Now that I think about it, I believe you are correct! My mistake.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Yes, there are too many choices. You can put everything on a 8 - 10" screen (6 pack, navigation and engine instruments) or you an split it up in several units.

Personally I decided to get the Garmin G3X and have everything on a 10" screen, with the iPad Mini as my backup. I use the Garmin Pilot app on my iPad, which is $75-150/yr for updates and keeps me from having to do the expensive G3X updates.

Do you have a budget you have set? That is where I would start.

FYI iPads are notorious for going out if they are in direct sunlight. BUT . . . I installed an AirGizmo mount in the center of my panel for my iPad Mini and have never had it qui and that is without cooling air. It gets pretty hot in the summer in Idaho. There is a hole on the back of the Air Gizmo for cooling air that I was ready to use if need be, but haven't.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Upfront cost, upgrades and downloads. There is some cost to most systems. For me I have an I-fly and it covers anything you need to get from point A to B. Easy to read, easy to operate. A couple of round gauges and your covered for VFR.

An interesting discussion given that we are presented with sooo much choice these days! I think it comes down to designing your panel to fit your mission and then personal choice as mostly the offerings are pretty good. I prefer small er panels and not all in one. I therefore went for the MGL minis. I know other brands offer similar. Then I had a Garmin 695 left over from my last aircraft that was yoke mounted - I panel mounted it in the Kitfox - these units have tremendous capability. Finally, an Ipad mini is our very good panel mounted friend! It is 12mths from first flight and a couple of hundred hours and all works well. We have crossed Australia a few times through some VERY remote areas and hot country and nothing quit. I do have a fan in the back that directs air into the back of the Garmin and I-pad which I recommend - the overhand of the panel dash keeps the ipad in shade mostly but I recently flew a Model 4 across OZ which didn't have the overhang and the ipad overheated a few times.

Anyway, that's one persons solution into the mix. By the way, the total panel cost under $10k.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Keep it up gang. After all this great info I have even more to think about. But I'm getting closer. I am beginning to lean in favor of the Dynon Skyview all-in-one, mostly for its versatility to add other features and functions at a later date if I decide to.

And while more $$ than my original concept of utilizing an iPad, I think the Dynon is overall a good value.

Any opinions on 7, 8, or 10 inch screens in the cockpit? I'm thinking if I only have one Skyview that I should go to the 10 inch so when I split screen it I will still have good size graphics.

Do you think I can use my existing senders from my 912 (connected to MGL Stratomaster currently), or will I need to purchase new?

Paul S.

My Dynon was designed to be compatible with the OEM Rotax senders, but had optional settings to configure for several different types.

So, probably yes.

As a point of interest, I considered the Skyview system, I have about $6k in my D180, iCom, and Garmin mode C transponder, the Skyview was about $12k for GPS, Radio and Mode S Transponder. Definitely more capability, but not at twice the cost. At least, not to me.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 12-17-2016 at 05:10 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Go with 10 inch. I say that since I don't know how old you are. I went big because I aim to have this thing awhile and I want to still see it in a few years. "of Course" this stuff will be obsolete in a few years unlike our steam gauges. Since I will probably replace it as frequently as a laptop I could have got away with smaller and gone bigger with age.

I think with one Skyview screen the 10" is the only way to go because of the reasons you mentioned-splitting the screen 3 ways. I have this setup and the graphics and text are still very readable to my older eyes.

As far as obsolescence, I believe it will be much longer than "a few years". The Dynon D180 has been around for close to 10 years (not real sure about this number-chime in if you know) and is still being supported. I believe Dynon intends to keep supporting Skyview for a similar length of time with their system of free firmware upgrades. The problem with old fashioned steam gauges is not obsolescence but plain old mechanical failure, due to all their moving and rapidly spinning parts. One of the main reasons I went with glass is because of studies I read which showed glass to have a longer life due to no moving parts. If you get past the very initial phase where manufacturing defects may bite you (but you are still in warranty) the chances of failure become very small. Even if the manufacturer eventually quits supporting it, there is no reason you can't keep on using it as long as it keeps functioning-same as the guys with old steam gauges.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I would agree with getting a 10" screen. I really like mine. I think it is wise to buy from a company that you think is going to still be around in 10 years or more, the smaller the company the more likely they may go out of business.

As far as going obsolete it is a hard say, but right now there is nothing big on the horizon in the aviation industry. It is not like it was 10-15 years ago where everything was changing. Now the glass panel has matured and we have some really great choices. Transponders with extended squitter for ADSB out and WAAS GPS navigation has become the new standard and should be here to stay for quite awhile. As long as there aren't any big changes in the industry your panel should be great for 10-20 years.

The Garmin 430/530s have been around for 15 years and are becoming obsolete due to spare parts issues. I believe the Dynon D-180 is almost 15 years old too.

Here is my Garmin G3X, the iPad Mini in the center of the panel isn't shown. If the screen was much smaller you really couldn't see all of the 3 things clearly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil, Jim, finally some favorable news. I was being cynical in the name of my own sanity. I don't really know what these things are expected to do in the realm of longevity admittedly. I think Im just preparing myself for disappointment so when it does happen I will be prepared. LOL. Other stuff I have bought and have not even opened yet have had some negative comments on other posts. One example, I am going to use a 912is and Im reading about gearbox issues! AArrrghh. Trading carburetor sync and float issues for gearbox issue?