Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 120 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I guess I am still unconvinced that Oratex prefinished color eliminates the need to paint UV protection (PolySpray) and finish color. For instance, when you heat shrink the fabric or tapes whatever prefinished coatings are there will be drawn in tighter and denser, so no problem. But what happens when you heat stretch a tape as we are talking about; won't those coatings be pulled apart, letting in UV rays to rot the fabric?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The best I can describe what happens is the color coat stretches like rubber when it is heated. It becomes pretty delicate when hot which explains why a silicone release paper is placed between the iron and the fabric. I have abraded some of the coating off before but those spots are to be covered by reinforcing tape. I am not sure if the color coat is the product that is actually responsible for the UV protection just as Paint really isn't with Poly Fiber.
    Eddie

Has anyone installed an Artex ELT. I picked mine up today at AS&S and it comes with a 23" long antenna that likely will not clear the ground if mounted on the weldment on the bottom of the airframe immediately behind the fuel header tank. I spoke with John M. today and his ELTs use an antenna that they mount within the airframe. That would be nice. Where is everybody else mounting these unsightly antenna?
    Eddie

I installed an ACS-E04 406 MHz ELT, but I believe the antenna is nearly the same. I put my antenna inside the fuselage alongside the baggage compartment. I believe this is where the Kitfox factory mounts theirs.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Has anyone installed an Artex ELT. I picked mine up today at AS&S and it comes with a 23" long antenna that likely will not clear the ground if mounted on the weldment on the bottom of the airframe immediately behind the fuel header tank.
    I would not mount an ELT antenna anywhere on the belly of an aircraft. Ideally, you want it located in the most survivable location. Also being mindfull of separation from other antenna(s).

YMMV, Greg

I mounted mine in the vertical stab along with the comm antenna. They both work very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking Re: EFWD Build

Thanks everyone. Your right about the belly location. I was only considering crashing nose first with maybe a flip into an inverted position. I usually go big or not at all.
    Funny, the next pic has an antenna nearly on top of the next with reported good function. Guess I wont worry too much about having mine inside near the luggage area that happens to be less than three feet from where my transponder antenna will be. Appreciate the input. Thx
    Eddie

Must say, I like Mr Bill's idea. Good use of the vertical stab, other than for the odd bit of directional stability .....
    David
    SS7 Builder

I'm ready for critique. The airframe is upside down. Pics are on their side. I have installed the ELT and its antenna. You will note that the ELT is under the Flap mixer. It clears by about 3/4". The Coax attached to the antenna is routed through a grommet that will be RTV'd in. The BNC still comes off as the mount can be flexed to allow it. Or Cut the RTV securing the grommet and it will all come apart easily. I dont expect I'll be disconnecting it frequently. It seems that the rubber on the adel clamps securing the Coax will contact the Fabric so I will need the next smaller clamp without the rubber or maybe just trim the rubber off the clamp where the fabric touches?
    Something that has me curious. The antenna instructions say to mount to something grounded with resistance of something like less than .03 ohm or something like that. Regardless, this thing isn't grounded. I don't want to scrape the paint off the airframe where that mount attaches. I may make a jumper wire over to the tab that the baggage floor sits on. Your thoughts?
    How is an antenna grounded in a wooden airframe?
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eddie,

A couple thoughts....your mileage may differ but I believe you are going down a solid path. I have the same ELT installed way back - slightly different placing of the unit under the mixer with the same antenna on the same side you have - but very similar.

Back when I was building the plane - the EAA tech counselor, who was also an IA doing heavy metal suggested inside the fuselage is a superior place to put it as if you ever actually need it- your either going to be on your back or your bottom in the swamp with a half a chance the antenna will be buried in the mud or broken off if it is mounted outside the aircraft. If inside - better chance of the darn thing actually working.

On the clamps - another option is to consider using bare aluminum aircraft clamps, rather than adel clamps, with either hockey stick tape ( comes in white or black) or the super good silicon self fusing tape around the tubing under the bare clamp to minimize the thickness of the cushion. In any case, I don't think a person wants to use any clamps without some type of abrasion protection for the airframe. FWIW - I used the plain aluminum clamps for the seat mounts with a single wrap of white hockey stick tape - it's still solid and still there. If you end up with any fabric contact - the answer is to double thick with an added fabric tape when covering.

On grounding - yeah, a person can bite the bullet scrape off some paint and ground to the baggage bay mount holes (which is what I did) - if a person does that it is also good idea to apply some dilectric grease/oil to prevent and corrosion/rusting of the ground point; or, run a ground wire all the way back to "mecca" ( common ground buss) under the panel.

One of my concerns was the potential for the bare antenna grounding out against the airframe so I slipped a small diameter poly tube over the antennae and zip tied it to a solid point above the antennae mount.

You're making good progress....
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN