Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 63 of 120 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Good news again this morning. Just got word that a Hangar is available for me at my 1st choice airport (Chino )for the first flight. Paying more than I care to but until I get the phase one done this is perfect. I have my name on a list for Corona but that's likely many months down the road.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That truly is good news that I certainly can relate to. It was 3 years on the wait list before I got a hangar. Fortunately I've been building so slowly that the timing worked out well as I was ready to put the wings on for the final time. I'm still on the list for a smaller hangar; now #8 after 4 years on that list.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Okay, Deposit made on the hangar this morning. Very nice hangar, north facing doors. That will be a blessing in the summer months. I also have a bathroom inside the hangar! Im right across the drive from Planes of Fame.
    So, off to do some of my due diligence for the phase one testing. I called the FAA on the field. Super cool bunch who run the tower. I sat down with the supervisor for about an hour ( on no notice to boot ). They were so accommodating, it was kinda surprising. I got to go up into the tower and meet everyone there. It felt as though I had entered the military again. Half of them were from military backgrounds and the other half were not but you would not have known it. They were all very nice. Super glad to have sat down with them as I have not really flown in this congested area before and Jorge had a lot of helpful information to share.
    I stopped by one of the several flight schools on the airport to see about getting a familiarization flight of the area. Wasn't impressed by this school, so I will be going elsewhere on the field. There are some peculiar aspects of the airspace around Chino so Jorge thought it would be prudent to do as I was planning. My DAR has offered to fly me around Chino and the practice area he will be assigning me so maybe I will just fly with him.
    Now to find a means for getting the plane over there.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post

....... Now to find a means for getting the plane over there.
    Eddie, I'm planning on putting mine on the back of a sliding tray tow truck for transport to the local strip, although I'm only 3 miles away. Just a thought if you're close by .....
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hey Dave, I would just put the tailwheel in the back of a ute and slowly drive there in the dead of night! cheaper and not exactly a heap of traffic out there!
    looking forward to it!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Too many kangaroos out there Ross !!

(Sorry for hijacking your thread for some Aus humour Eddie ...)
    David
    SS7 Builder

I don't hold my thread that dear.
    I, unfortunately, have to go 20 miles. I have considered both of those means but obviously I cant pull my plane across town in the middle of the night that way. Regarding the tow truck, I am concerned that the deck angle on the truck won't clear the prop going head first. For that matter pulling it up the ramp backwards, the prop may not clear the ground. Can someone speak to that? I don't wish to find out after having to pay the driver for just attempting to load it. Anyhow, I found a trailer but its about 40 miles away. I can have it delivered but probably will just go get it. I have to determine if its too heavy for my 1/2 ton truck. They recommend a 3/4 ton but they said they would rent it to me if I accept the risk. I mean, I am only putting around 850 lbs on it and its only going 20 miles. We will see.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Depends on the flatbed type. Some - like what are used for exotic cars - can lower the platform directly to the ground, load it on then lift it up.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Perhaps take the prop off for transport Eddie(?)

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Eddie,

Still haven't figured out the photo post demons so sorry for not including a photo.

I had almost the same distance to travel from my house to the hangar that you have.

Located a wood surfaced/steel framed flat bed trailer that a friend at the 'port had used for many years in the aircraft salvage business. He very kindly loaned it out. Ramps and come-alongs to get the plane up on the trailer. The trailer was designed with bogey wheels which really seems to smooth out the ride. I estimated the trailer and plane to be approximately 2,500# total.

I think the key to the whole business is firmly securing the aircraft to the trailer - our kitfox is a trigear so the tail skid makes a pretty good hard point. The transport braces are mandatory of course; and, the aircraft pretty much became one with the trailer after I got done strapping it down/tying it down and generally securing it very well. Had it facing nose first with the tail slightly low. Screwed wood chocks to the deck around both main wheels.

On the day of the move, I located another friend with the largest urban assault vehicle I could find to run interference behind my vehicle. I pulled the trailer with my ford ranger which is not particularly heavy; however, it was more than adequate for the task - I don't think a person needs a deuce and a half to do the tow. Picked a time around mid day away from rush hour and kept the speed to 45 mph. - I think I was being pretty conservative about the whole transport thing and it worked out perfectly.

From other's report - it is important on a tailwheel KF to keep it off the tailspring - you want a hard/solid contact to the trailer and no bouncing on the spring from what I have heard.

Keep us up on your progress
    PS - yup - checked the height of the whole business and compared to bridge heights along the way - no problems.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN