Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 56 of 120 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I bought a 30A unit on amazon for $30 bucks.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thank you gentlemen. I am the owner of a new power supply with meters for V and A. Pretty nice one too. Spent far more than $30 though.

Anyhow, The electron saga continues over here. Got my harnesses from the supplier, finding little problems here and there, some my own. So, they are all in and hooked up (still appears to be spaghetti though). So I was testing my keyed master switch and nothing. Discovered my EarthX battery is dead. Ordered, received and tried to use the TM471 Optimate charger to recover the battery. No Joy. Spent much time on the phone with Tecmate regarding the charger and EarthX to get their input. As well as John and Debra. Well, not sure if my battery is toast or if its the charger. Or Both. Neither one behave as expected. All three companies have very good customer service I will add. So, I got Amazon to exempt me from the 30 day return policy tonight so that I could return it to the supplier, who was very nice as well and helped me address the problem of returning to Amazon after 45 days. As soon as I accomplished that, I went to check on one last test of the charger. Viola, it did something. Something expected. Looks like I have ruled out the charger so far. But I already arranged the return and got a refund. Although the TM471 is supposed to accomplish a battery maint. system reset I note now that EarthX has either updated their site or I missed the remark about the TM471 timing out and that I should select a more appropriate charger like the TM291. (Doesn't change the fact that the technicians at Optimate were saying they didn't understand what the charger was doing). Sooooo, I am getting the TM291 now. But hey, I can look at a spaghetti mess of wiring without the anxiety now! I am learning that I must have more DPDT switches to operate two fans at once, in one throw, while only one fan on the opposite throw for example. Tonight I get to read up on the user manual for the Vertical Power box so to get it programmed before first panel power up. Hope there is no smoke.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Since I was in need of Battery information I did some surfing. I am sure someone else here will find the wealth of information on this site very interesting as well. https://batteryuniversity.com
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I want to balance my wheels before installing them. There are devices to accomplish this. HF sells one for motorcycle wheels, AS&S sells a couple (more $$$). I hate when an aircraft lifts off and the wheels vibrate until they slow down. I am assuming that it is due to imbalance. Wondering what folks are doing, if anything at all.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

When the time comes I'll balance them the same way as all my cars, motorcycles and trailers, Dynabeads. http://innovativebalancing.com/
    James T
    Valrico, FL

Hi Eddie,

I didn't do mine - 26' Airstreaks. On take off I feel and can see a slight 'wobble' that is quickly fixed with a touch of the brakes. I don't notice anything on the ground. If I knew of an easy balance technique I probably would have done it but I didn't know of that. I will interested to see what comes of this discussion.

Enjoying your posts

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I want to balance my wheels before installing them. There are devices to accomplish this. HF sells one for motorcycle wheels, AS&S sells a couple (more $$$).
    Take off. Touch the brakes. Wheels stop. Problem solved.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

thank you Ross, Larry. You are absolutely right. I haven't flown in so many years and Stick and Rudder flying this past April was not enough to stick in my brain that brakes are a solution. Thinking back reminds me that it was almost second nature to just tap the brakes, don't even really think about it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

OK, done watching Trent's new YouTube video. Off to the garage to address my Brake fluid leaks. I don't recall ( and haven't looked back ) but the Permatex product that was recommended as the stuff to seal the fuel fittings is not the stuff thats going to seal the Brake line fittings. I bought the "Fuel Lube" product that Carl has I believe. Oddly enough, I only have leaks where the brass fittings go into the Grove Gear and my brake housing. No leaks in the brake cylinders at the feet. Taking a break from the electrical stuff today. Maybe later I will power up my Vertical Power unit and get it programmed. Brakes first, tired of wiping up 5606.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

No Fire, NO FIRE!. Sweet. Powered up the panel today with only a couple problems. My radio was staying on after avionics switched off. Pin 1 was used instead of Pin 10. Opposite corners of the plug so I guess I did the usual thing.
    Then I tried the trim switch. Nothing. So I go back look at the wire diagram and discover there are two wires to the switch that I did not have. Anyhow, the TCW Safety Trim unit is necessary for boosted power to the trim motor. Garmin trim power is unable to push 7Amps. When I bought the unit, it came with a wire harness that I believed was complete. Im not sure if these wires were forgotten or the harness typically is not wired for the trim switch? I would find that an odd scenario. Anyhow, this harness was not from the same outfit who provided all my other harnesses BTW. All I had to do was wire up a two wire cable, pin it and connect the other ends to the switch. Fixed. I even hooked up my Bose headset and was surprised to find that my Radio works while sitting in my garage below two stories of living space above. I am hearing the John Wayne Airport traffic. So cool. Guess that answers the question I had as to whether or not to put a ground plane at the bottom of the antenna. Just the air frame seems to be working.
    Wow pretty good day. So sorry, I wanted to put a picture but I just don't know how to reduce the image.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X