Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 54 of 120 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Imagine this. Your the guy who has an absolute mental block on electrical wiring and you recognize this, so you hire a company who builds harnesses so that things are done right. Are you that guy that has all the luck and the job gets done without problem? Unfortunately I not that guy this time. I keep finding errors in the harnesses. Went out to really get a move on the electrical stuff today since my harnesses have been delayed 6 addtl weeks beyond the date they stated they would be finished. I picked it all up yesterday. Found a power wire connected to an incorrect pin of the GMU 22 magnatometer. My ELT harness has a G force trigger wire loop that was smashed under the restraining strap that secures the wires to the D sub connector housing. Im seeing wire strand spanning about 3mm of the insulation. Uncertain if any wires are actually severed. If this wire connection is done incorrectly the G switch will fail to trigger the ELT xmsn. Great. Another thing on that connector. the wires are just coming out the back of the connector without any cushioning or rubber grommet support. The connector kit that I gave them has everything they needed to install this connector per the Artex installation manual. I don't know if I am just nit picking at this part or if I should be expecting them to assemble these connectors as instructed by the Mfr.
    Anyhow, I have called on my EAA tech counselor/DAR to visit. He will be coming Tuesday morning.
    It took me hours to discover these problems because I am studying paperwork so much just to figure out what I was looking at. MAN this stinks. I will admit, since I was forced to work on without being able to call the shop, I started to be able to make sense of things. Im going to give it another day of working things out and then I may have to get help from an avionics guy from a local avionics shop. Lots of resources here in southern California. Lets hope my tech counselor enlightens me.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Sorry to hear Eddie, the one thing that I hired out to get fabricated came back wrong too. And it was a certified shop!

By the time you go through everything you could have done it yourself in the end!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

yup..................
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Man this is really disappointing to hear. I have been contemplating having my panel "built" by Dynon. Now you guys are making me nervous and giving me second thoughts about it. As we all know, it's not an inexpensive proposition.

Clark

Thats really frustrating Eddie! I know it takes a little bit of time and thinking to get your head around the wiring for the 912is and the associated avionics but I reckon you might be happier if you muddle through with the aid of an avionics 'coach' - I found two heads ( especially if the other one had a bit more knowledge!) was better than one and together we manage to work it all out.

Anyway, I know its frustrating but it sounds like you are making progress - albeit frustratingly! Its disappointing to pay 'professionals' and then be let down.

keep at it - nearly there now!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I think having the panel "built" by Dynon, Advanced, or Steinair would be a much happier (and expensive) experience than Eddie had. When they take responsibility for a complete panel they must test the final result. In Eddies case where they just build a harness there is no final operational test.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I bought my Garmin system from SteinAir and received excellent service. I described the system I wanted from the user's point of view and they quickly spec'ed all of the required components. Got some hand holding from their tech support to figure out a wiring problem. Very nice guys to deal with.

Eddie, I'm afraid it's going to be a real irritation to pull incorrectly placed pins and redo the wiring. And some of those connectors have very tiny numbers. What a headache these guys have caused you.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Eddie
    You are not nit-picking. Your wiring should be as close to flawless as you can get. Much relies on wiring! You can get reasonably priced tooling to build a one or two off harness. The insert/removal tools are not exotic or expensive. I design and build harnesses for A big defense contractor and have been at this for nearly 40 years. If you need help, let me know!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

That's really frustrating. Tracking down things like that can suck the fun out of building in a hurry. It's probably worth keeping details about the errors and the time spent fixing them. I know you've been in close contact with them, but when you're done and you know every error they made, and how much time you spent tracking it down and fixing it, it's probably worth writing them a letter. They have a strong reputation in the rest of their business, so they need to know how bad their wiring shop is.

The good news is you have the resources to get it all figured out and working like a dream. Keep at it. It sounds like is the last steep hill to climb.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Just finished a conference room meeting with the shop manager. Went there to meet with the owner but a drop in on him proved futile. Since he knows I was there to see him he will likely contact me via email. Since he did that on account of a post I made once, I will be surprised if he doesnt. As I have said in the past, I seem to get my issues addressed satisfactorily if I go into the store. I can’t imagine the frustration amplification if this was having to be done via mail as most everyone else would be doing. Anyhow, they have something to address on nearly every harness so now Im pretty much down until I get this stuff back. Mostly they just didn’t pin the power leads on anything. As a result, we have ways to improve my leads by combining power wires going to my Vertical Power unit enabling me to power all my stuff through that. I have so much stuff that I think I was running short on power pins in my VP.
    Last edited by efwd; 08-06-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X