Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 45 of 120 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Since my Dynon ADAHRS is mounted aft of the baggage bay, I have mounted OAT probe just under the horizontal stab on the right side (away from exhaust)where it will be shaded (and protected from errant body parts when on the ground).
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thank You all for the replies. Certainly seems that there are plenty of things to consider. I never would have thought of the side window but since my wire lead is only 10' long and the shop doesn't want to modify it, I am considering that location. I don't even really know how big this thing is as AS&S has had it since all my avionics were delivered. They are assembling the harness' soon but I have not figured out where a good location for this is.
    Eddie

The OAT probe is pretty small and sticks out about 1.5". It just needs a hole drilled for mounting. If you know where your AHRS is located then you can easily measure runs under 10' and find a place for it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

10’ should reach under the wing by the door. Out of the sun. I still need to silicone this in
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

OK, arrived in Boise today. Weather looked great today, crossing fingers for the rest of the week. Spent a couple hours with Paul going over all the plans for getting me airworthy after 23 years. I'm not sure I'll fall asleep tonight. Quite an exciting endeavor for me. Some of the back country is still snowed over but it seems I will get to fly over the snow capped stuff to find other back country strips, so that will be cool in my opinion. Lots of good stuff covered today. Wonder if I'll remember it? I can't wait to be tailwheel endorsed!
    Eddie

You will do fine Eddie. Enjoy the experience. You are in great hands.
    Hi to Paul and Terry.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Take and post lots of pictures!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Talking Re: EFWD Build

OK. Day one down. No pics. Dropped and broke my phone Sunday night. Destroyed screen so I was unable to use the phone until tonight after repair at Apple Store in Boise mall. Anyhow. Paul and I had, well I had a great time. 2.8 hours logged. Apparently I was taking off and landing unassisted. These airplanes are a Blast! Weird stuff happens relative to what I experienced in Cessna's and Piper's I once flew. Sight picture out the windscreen is way different for example. Looks like your descending while in cruise. With flaps out and while slow you employ the rudders a whole lot more than when the thing is clean. Flaps make the nose drop too. I know most of you know this but some have yet to learn the fun stuff of the Kitfox. Pretty good winds today once above 1000' AGL. Lots of learning going on during my base leg turns as I was blown away and I had to use more Power to keep might sight picture of the numbers. Paul is great to learn from. He is so laid back. When he first gave me the controls I was told "don't worry about holding altitude or airspeed, just fly it around and feel what it does". It doesn't get any more relaxed than that. Day one I was flying over the river banking left, right etc etc. Although I was surprised he had me doing that It was a very good technique at "waking up" my feet. Anyway, total blast today. Maybe 4 or 4.5 hours tomorrow.

Good Lord, I got wiped out today. So many landings. I think Paul said 22. I slept fine last night and didn't feel tired until we sat down in the hangar. Came back to the Hotel and fell asleep for 2 hours.. I've not been taxed like that in ten years. Okay, Paul tells me he only helped save our bacon once on my first attempt at making a landing on a gravel strip using a slower approach speed. I guess I actually pulled it off but I pushed the airspeed limit such that he had to help.
    On another note, I love this country stuff. I grew up in the country and now having lived in the big city I have forgotten how nice these places are. I forget the town name but we stopped at an airport where we gained access to a car to go into town for lunch. Come on, where else can you just use a car that has instructions on how to get the keys pasted on the back window?
    So, if we don't get weathered out tomorrow Paul believes I will have my endorsement after doing cross wind and wheel landings. I tried one wheel landing at Homedale after he showed me one first. Thankful that I will be fresh tomorrow when I take it on. I may have just fallen asleep as Paul filled out my log book had we done more today.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Guess what. I'm tailwheel endorsed and have got my annual flight review for the first time in over 20 years. Learned wheel landings and crosswind landings today. Got weathered out yesterday so I was well rested and motivated today. What a blast this Kitfox is. Once you learn the flight characteristics you begin to realize what it is capable of doing. Now I kinda get how it is that guys like Trent Put this plane wherever they want. So dang fun. Heading out to some desert Backcountry with Paul tomorrow as all the higher altitude stuff is under snow still especially after the weather front that came through yesterday. Looking forward to getting my bird up so I can improve on what Paul has taught me.
    Eddie