Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 30 of 120 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Hey, that might fit in the wing root. Its pretty small. Thanks Phil. I dont have but a ten foot lead on the thing so unfortunately I cant go back that far. I suppose I can extend the wiring but Ryan at AS said he doesnt like to cut those wires. Im not inclined to do it if the avionics guys dont like to.
    Eddie

I put mine where Josh suggested - ran the wire up the post beside the windscreen and drilled a hole through the aluminium sealing strip between the top of the door and the wing. Therefore it is under the wing in the shade. Mine is an MGL and is low profile.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hey Josh
    Thanks for the tip on locating the jury strut clamps. I got my fairings installed today and I found a flashlight worked very well also. First one I used the sun. I used balsa wood to fill in the trailing edge. Tomorrow I get to mix up some Poly Fill. I love that stuff.
    Eddie

Im switching around the oil line fitting and the oil plug at the bottom of the 912iS as per the manual. When I pulled the "fitting" it was very tight and held in by loctite I presume. The oil plug on the left side of the engine had none. The instructions tell me to reinstall the "fitting" on the left side of the motor and torque. Then install the plug with Loctite 648 on the Right side. It seems that the loctite is specific to the Right side of the motor and not the part that is being installed. Do I assume correctly that this is due to vibration tendency to loosen items installed on the Right side. Or, why am I not using loctite on the "fitting" again?
    Eddie

What a bummer. Wish this was a finished project and a photo of the install without the engine lift but...
    Installing the engine mount to the engine, easy. Mount to the airframe, not so much. I had to remove the Fuse box from the firewall as to not destroy components attached to it. Not that easy to get the exact alignment to enable the insertion of the main bottom bolt and it took my son and I about 30min of effort to get that bolt installed. Definitely you should clean out any of the powder coat. I done that before even starting the install but had I not done it I may have never got that bolt installed. That bolt was not the first I installed. I destroyed one bolt that I inserted on the Right side when the swing of the mount bent it. It is now a dowel pin and I also had to make a second bolt into a pin. I have ordered new hardware. My mount does not line up perfectly so some pulling on the mount legs is required and trying to do this alone, as I was doing, is a real PIA. Honestly, I am not even sure how I am going to get the firewall washers installed after my new hardware shows up. Of coarse its a Holiday weekend so I can't just drive to AS&S to get hardware. Im not looking forward to the attempt at getting the last two bolts and washers in. The manual suggests not torquing the top bolts as there will be grounds put under the heads. I can assure you, I will never be removing these bolts to put a ring connector on. These will have to be horseshoe shape connectors. Actually, I don't think the bolts are long enough to allow this anyhow so I have ordered slightly longer bolts. Wish me luck.
    On a more pleasant note, I have finished the fairings on the struts. When these bolts for the engine show up this project will be on coarse again.
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found it much much easier to bolt the engine mount on the firewall, the ring mount on the engine, and then make the final connection the four bolts at the isolators.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Don't feel alone, Eddie... I had a real fight with those too, & I think that it is not at all unusual. Not saying that it couldn't be better, but when you have a weldment with 5 holes that have to line up with 5 holes in another weldment, it can be a little bit of a trick. I agree with Jim about fighting with the engine mount without the ring & entire engine attached. I checked alignment, then "massaged" the mount a little to make it fit better. Give John McBean a call about that - he had a good suggestion about how to do that, which involved a board & jumping on it if I recall correctly. Cleaning out the tapped threads in the bottom hole is definitely mandatory, and starting it first is probably best. Don't forget to apply Loctite to the threads. After getting the bottom one threaded in, I checked to see if any others aligned well, & I inserted bolts in those that did first. Then I used an "alignment pin" made from a bolt with the threads cut off and a short taper ground on the end. I inserted that backwards through the holes to align them, then started to properly insert the bolt from the other side, trying to stop as far as possible while the pin was still maintaining alignment. Finally, a quick, solid tap with a plastic mallet to drive the bolt in, pushing the pin out. I found I could do that with no discernible thread damage. Buy extra bolts ... they're cheap.

That may all sound like an unnecessary process to those who were lucky enough to have a better fit between those parts, but I found the whole process a real pain in the butt with mine. Good luck, Eddie.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks guys. I am doing exactly as you describe John. I did the mount to engine first as that is how the manual reads. Do you think I am crazy for not applying locktite? That crap was drying up by the time I got the threads to engage. I thought it might be hindering my getting the threads to start. remember it took a half an hour. I figured I would torque seal the bolt head and inspect regularly. It has a lock washer. Do I really need two securement methods? If I pull that bolt out again I guess I would consider that starting over and doing all that I have done for a second time. I was going to call John M about that on Tuesday. Not sure if I get all four of the other bolts in and tight the bottom bolt will be lined up anymore. It seems as heavy as the structure is there you have to start at that bolt because you can't flex that part into alignment.
    Eddie

well, there is something to be said about not wanting to die at the hands of my own deviations from a good instruction manual. I already know what John would say. I went out and was able to back out my bottom bolt and apply the loctite and actually torque it down this time by myself. figured I would not be able to do that. Just waiting for a few new bolts to finish it up.
    Eddie

Frustration is part of the process I think Eddie! I too had a few frustrating moments at this stage ( and others). But the vision of flying the thing and all the adventures served to overcome the frustration every time!
    Nice post about going back out and doing it properly!

Must feel good to sit back and see that great engine hanging!!!
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)