Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 22 of 120 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Hi Eddie,

I have the 912is and will take a photo later today - however, I think I positioned the fuel filter assembly on the firewall immdeiately below the surface you have it on currently - I should be about 4 hours until I post the pic.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thank You so much Ross.
    Eddie

Eddie - just found these on file - it gives you an idea of the position i used. I will take a few more shortly when I go to the hanger - anything specific you want a photo of apart from the position of the fuel filter assembly?

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

HI again Eddie,

just back from taking photos of the fuel setup - they give no more detail than the one already posted so I wont duplicate. So, I mounted the coarse filter where you have it and used the predrilled holes. I positioned the fine filter and manifold to directly below where you have it at present in the photo - on the same part of the firewall as the fuel pumps - let me know if you want more specific photos.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

very helpful Ross. Thank You very much. I don't believe I need anything beyond that right now.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Thank you John. I figured that would be a bad idea but the fittings that kitfox send seam to be more automotive and when you look up how to install them they aren't clamping them at all while the nice anodized aluminum sleeve seems to be doing some of the rention without it being crimped at all. I guess you just toss those things in the trash. I went to the airport and ran into the Rotax repair hanger and got a chance to look at some of his work. So fortunate to live with so much in my back yard. Yeh, yeh, the traffic sucks.
    Eddie
    I didn't know you were talking about that kind of fitting Eddie, but those are designed specifically for Aeroquip Push-Lock socketless type hose, and when used with the proper kind of hose they don't require any clamps. The anodized sleeves are just cosmetic - they clean-up the look and hide the end of the hose. If used with any other kind of hose they do require clamps to maintain the pressure rating of the assembly.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John. Kitfox sends these but they want me to clamp them so I guess they are sending some other type of hose. I can tell you, I tried to remove a hose awhile ago and i could not pull it off. Its like a Chinese finger trap I think. Anyhow, I am clamping. I went to Home Depot and couldnt locate the SS bands. I will have to wait till Monday to go to Mcfadden N Dale Hardware for those. The build is getting serious now as I am being asked to run Wire. Not looking forward to that. Hopefully my Vertical Power will keep me from going Mad
    Eddie

The fitting on the bottom is tightened by hand. Of course if I tighten it down securely with a wrench it will be pointing to the side and therefore not accommodate the rigid fuel line connection. Does one just start replacing fittings in these circumstances? I have switched to another 90 degree with the same results.
    Second question. How many people have replaced hard fuel lines with flexible stuff, maybe steel braided. Fitting and bending is not the easiest thing in the world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two possible solutions: First, if that is only hand tight you can probably get another 7/8 turn with a wrench; if not then: Second, get a proper size pipe tap and just slightly deepen the pipe thread in the brass fitting.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Didn't think of that. Thanks Jim
    Eddie