Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 120 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Interesting. Ill have to call John or Debra. I put a good seven hours in today doing various tasks and the boot cowl/firewall was one of them. I was looking for the instructions for the final install of the boot cowl and I dont even find those. Im using nutplates for that anyhow but I may be missing pages. Nothing like that that you mention and nothing that Ive found on how the boot cowl is installed finally.

I have been making slow progress lately. Thought I would send out something for you guys to follow. Fabricated some U-channel with nut plates to secure the firewall bottom. Not so happy with how much time I spent but happy with the results. All in the name of recreation I suppose.
    Was not too excited to tackle cutting into the boot cowl but I fashioned up a template for the opening and did a fairly decent job with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Ok, not perfect but Im happy with the way they turned out. My girlfriend really wanted to get her hands dirty when she seen me putting Poly Fill on and wanted to help so... Anyhow, her Fill fell out when I went at it with a sander. LOL. She tried. Got to luv having someone who not only supports the hobby but would like to assist. My boys only do that when I force them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NACA and boot cowl look good Eddie.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks Steve. I keep hearing your advice when it comes to the cowls. I cant recall what you told me to watch out for regarding the engine cowl. I will probably make it back to Gilbert before I go to that so I will have a chance to ask again. I think I will be starting the second wing this week. I need to ask John M. about doing the wind screen before hanging the engine. Not sure if thats advised. I haven't done any of the camlocks on the firewall yet and I don't really want to have the engine on while doing the wiring of the panel.
    Eddie

That looks real nice, Eddie! I like the way you finished the edges of that portion of the firewall.
    I think that having the engine in place can be helpful when determining wire routing from the panel. Of course it also needs to be there when you are fitting the cowl and installing the Camlocks. I think it's a good idea to leave the windshield off until you are through working behind the panel, as per the manual. That doesn't mean you couldn't fit it before that, but you don't want to have to handle taking it on & off any more than necessary, IMO.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John. No reason I couldn't wait to do the wind screen. I like that its still all tucked away in the box and safe. Phil Laker told me that the Acrylic is really fragile and he recommends leaving in the sun to warm up before handling it. I guess I will move on to something else. I have a wing that needs work.
    Eddie

When installing Fuel Lines, the manual has you using hose clamps. These fuel lines on the firewall have fire sleeves covering them. would I use one clamp to secure the fire sleeve as well as the fuel line onto the fitting? Or, would I use one clamp on the fuel line then another one to secure the fire sleeve? Can't imagine why one clamp couldn't do all the work but I don't want a DAR to tell me otherwise late in the game. Just heading to Aircraft Spruce so I may have to buy more clamps.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    When installing Fuel Lines, the manual has you using hose clamps. These fuel lines on the firewall have fire sleeves covering them. would I use one clamp to secure the fire sleeve as well as the fuel line onto the fitting? Or, would I use one clamp on the fuel line then another one to secure the fire sleeve? Can't imagine why one clamp couldn't do all the work but I don't want a DAR to tell me otherwise late in the game. Just heading to Aircraft Spruce so I may have to buy more clamps.
    Eddie
    You don't clamp them both with the same clamp. Clamp the hose, then secure the end of the fire sleeve, preferably with an all-metal S.S."zip tie". There are relatively expensive ones made for the task, but I found & used some from Home Depot that are very reasonably priced.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thank you John. I figured that would be a bad idea but the fittings that kitfox send seam to be more automotive and when you look up how to install them they aren't clamping them at all while the nice anodized aluminum sleeve seems to be doing some of the rention without it being crimped at all. I guess you just toss those things in the trash. I went to the airport and ran into the Rotax repair hanger and got a chance to look at some of his work. So fortunate to live with so much in my back yard. Yeh, yeh, the traffic sucks.
    Eddie

Im installing the 912is fuel system. The supplement for this is written with slightly less detail as the Kitfox manual. Before I drill holes I was hoping someone might have a photo of their 912is Fire wall. It seems I will be needing to drill holes in the fire wall to mount the fuel manifold/filter assy. Does this look to be the correct location. There are no predrilled holes as there are with all the other stuff. Im not real comfortable with where I have it currently as I am not sure it will clear the cables that will be going through the fire wall in the square hole immediately above. Thanks
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images