Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 16 of 120 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Thank You both.
    I was able to make one good connector of four. I had to push pretty damn hard to get the "click". Now on to order three more connectors. Thought I would get some from the computer/electronics store today. What a PIA. Too many different types of BNC. I bought one only to find out that the wire on my RG400 is too large to fit into the pin. several strands just curled up and would not go into the pin. I got the RG58 type connector but AS&S 's connector is specifically for RG400 I noticed. Live and learn. I suppose this is the education part of the FAA's reg on Homebuilding for education and recreational purpose. You two really helped and I am grateful. Im sure Carl is reading too and will benefit also If he hasn't done this before.
    Eddie

John, As it turns out my BNC connector is an Amphenol RF 112514. Interesting thing is, it is not machined as clean as yours. I was able to find a BNC that looks exactly like yours but it was a different part number.
    I was able to download the PDF for the cuts. We will see how it goes.
    Eddie

So I decided to mount the GPS antenna immediately above the radio stack. This decision caused me to require a 90 degree TNC connector beneath the antenna. Joy was, this connector costs $51. I had AS&S make this cable since I wasn't going to risk learning how to cut this cable to accommodate the connector. I learned enough with the standard BNC connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that's a good judgement call Eddie, to let someone else make up the cable. Like you, I'm happy to learn as much as I can but sometimes it's better to let someone else slip in the seat and drive the bus a few yards along the journey ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

Finally got the primer job done to the inside of the wing spars. Mixed up far more primer than necessary now expensive waste to discard. I will say though, it coated the inside very well. It was a bit messy. Fortunately I laid plastic down on the epoxy floor. All the spar riveting leads to some leakage of the alcohol and primer. The tennis balls are fairly good at wicking some material out as well.
    I discovered that my concern for cutting material off the bolt of Oratex in order to cover the horizontal was warranted. I have an 11ft panel of fabric that obviously wont cover one surface of a wing. I was not aware of the pattern that is suggested for cutting the fabric to minimize waste. I should have just covered the wings first instead of heeding the advice to cover a smaller part first. Had I done that, I would have realized the remnant pieces from the wing were sufficient to cover the stab. I know the manual advised that one should do that but I forgot when I cut the stab fabric first.
    I have included a pic of the brake line. Does anyone care to remark on whether they think this is an ill advised route. Seems it could hang up on a bush or something. Should I bend up a piece of pipe to make it stronger?
    The other pic is the fabric all glued and ready to apply to the wing.
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice progress! I like the look of your polished? gear. My brake line is configured exactly like yours. After 1,000 hours of driving through a lot of s--t, no problems whatsoever.

Eddie, you should be fine with that routing of the brake line as Floog mentioned. If concerned, just make another spare and carry it when you go backcountry or off airport flying. Might take a little container of brake fluid also.
    Another option is to make braided stainless lines but likely not needed.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Great, Thank You
    Eddie

Starting to look like an airplane. And I like how you captured that little glint of sunlight on the polished landing gear.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Our planes will look ying and yang beside each other unless one of us adds some colour Eddie! Looking good!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3