Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 120 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Looking great Eddie.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks gentlemen. Have Monday and Tuesday off so hopefully I'll get some good time in then too.

Well Monday and Tuesday are behind me. It took much longer than I thought it would to cover the right side of the airframe with all the angles and such. Got it mostly done though. After I got tired in the shop I studied some electrical stuff.. I am wondering, my Aero LED nav/strobe lights as well as the landing lights recommend grounding to the airframe near the lights themselves rather than run the ground all the way back to the airframe ground behind the panel. Interference noise reduction being the goal if I remember right. Well, the only place to ground too would be the spar. Does anybody do that. I am inclined to run my ground back as an individual wire outside the shielded wires that feed the lights. What is the difference, Wire or Spar. Either way the current is traveling back.

Running a ground through the spars could cause interference. So could running the ground back externally. Both of these could lead to EMF and interfere with a magnetometer.

The best way to reduce interference would be to run the power and grounds in the same shielded cable. Attach the shielding at one end, in the cockpit. I did this in my plane and don't have any problems with my magnetometer, which is mounted on the outer spar rib and about 18" from the landing lights and nav/strobe lights.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I grounded my strobe/nav wingtip lights to the spar out at the wingtip, exactly like the AeroLed instructions say. Been working fine with no radio interference for over 3 years. I checked with McBean and that's also how they did it on the SLSA's.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

thank you Phil and Jim.
    I am doing some of this electrical myself all the while kicking and screaming but I am learning by taking small bites. It can be so frustrating. Phil and the Sport Air workshop instructor both say to ground the shielding at one end but the Pulsar NSP instructions say to ground both ends. This is just the beginning. I am constantly coming across odd situations while reading diagrams, installation manuals and the like. I bought the Aircraft Wiring Guide and it is very helpful but at the same time it has recommendations that I install stuff I had no idea even existed. It makes the wiring more complex and the author recommends keeping it as simple as possible. AArrghh.
    thank you guys for your help. I will follow Aeroleds schematic I guess. maybe I'll ground only one end of the shield?
    Eddie

Understood Eddie, there is so much to learn and lots of opinions too.

I discussed shielding with the guys in the avionics shop where I work. My understanding on shielding is you normally want to hook the shielding ground at only one end and do it at the end furthest away from where there is a potential for interference. When I wired the Garmin G3X I noticed the schematics showed the shielding being grounded at one end for most of the wires too.

For the magnetometer it was impossible to meet Garmin's distance criteria from electrical components and steel structure anywhere in a Kitfox. That is why I used shielded wires for all of my nav, strobe and landing lights. I decided to install the magnetometer on the outer wing rib to get it as far away from the steel lift struts and routed the shielded wires past it.

On a similar note last year I had my ACK 406 ELT inadvertently activate during a flight. When I talked to ACK the first thing they asked was what brand transponder I have. When I told them it was a Garmin GTX-23ES they said the problem was being caused by my transponder. The ACK cable (a phone cable) that connects the remote switch to the ELT was apparently too close to the Garmin transponder/antenna/cable. ACK said the solution was to move their cable as far away from the transponder as possible. I asked if using a shielded wire to replace the phone cable would work. They said yes and that one helicopter manufacturer makes their own shielded cable to replace ACK's OEM phone cable. During my condition inspection I installed a 4 wire shielded cable and grounded the shielding in the cockpit. Hopefully I will never have another false activation. The Air Force had called my wife before I got on the ground and told her about my plane's ELT going off. Not good! I had a bunch of texts from her and the Air Force when I landed and called them both to say everything was OK. I don't ever want to repeat that.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Phil, curious about your ACK activating in flight. Did you not see or notice the red flashing light on the remote? Or did you see it and turn it off right away?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I heard it first bleeding through the COM. Then I saw the red light flashing and cancelled it. Unfortunately it had been transmitting long enough that the ELT sent out the message to the satellites. I believe a 406 ELT waits about 1 minute before it sends the data packet.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

wow, talk about scaring the hell out of your wife! not good. Thanks for that Phil.