Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ameri-King in Trouble with FAA

Default Re: Ameri-King in Trouble with FAA

I called Pacific Coast Avionics to order a ACK- EO4 for $445. and they suggested the Artex 345 which sells for $549.
    They felt the Artex was a better install because it uses shielded wire instead of the phone cable to connect with the panel switch.
    The Artex install sounds more complex requiring soldering the shielded wires versus pluging in a phone cable.
    The local AP felt the Artex units were possibly better quality
    but would chose the one that weighed the least.
    Any opinions to help me make a decision?
    Thanks
    Herman

I've been using the ACK-E04 for almost 3 years now with no trouble and still on the original 5-year battery. Kitfox is a dealer for ACK and I believe it is what they put in the S-LSA. Have had no issues with the unshielded phone cable.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

By the way, I have not hooked up the optional GPS input. I figure the standard accuracy is more than good enough to find me. A possible couple more minutes of searching to spot me is not that big a deal.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Herman,

Both the ACK and Artex are good products and have TSOs. They weigh about the same (2.0 lbs) and the replacement batteries cost about the same. The ACK is about $100 less expensive initially.

I don't feel there is a problem with using the phone cable for the ACK. The cable is for the switches that activate and test the unit from the remote switch. The shielded wire for the Artex may hold up a little better, but it serves the same function as the ACK phone cable. If you are paying a shop to install the ELT it may cost more for parts and labor for them to make this cable, whereas the ACK it more plug and play.

Do some research and see what customers are saying about the units.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thank you all for your input.
    Based on your feed back the ACK is what i will order.
    I like the easier install and hearing that several of you have had good results with the ACK.
    Saving a $100 is also nice.
    The Artex dealer I called could not tell me how long the Artex battery was good for and the replacement cost and how much these ELT's weigh.
    You guys had all the answers which I appreciate.

How difficult is it to tie the ACK to a GPS if I decide to ?

Jim With all the nice features your Kitfox has, I am surprised you did not tie you ELT to the GPS.
    Herman

Tying the ACK to the GPS involves running another set of wires from panel to your ELT location, and some soldering to make up a plug that they give parts for along with instructions.

I didn't do it for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post. Also, the ELT was the last item in my build and I was in some kind of a frenzy to get flying. I could still do it without too much trouble, but see no pressing reason. As I recall, the improvement in accuracy is something like 300' reduces to 30'. By far the most important thing is to get a 406 MHz ELT in your airplane, then obsess over the small stuff if you want to.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    As I recall, the improvement in accuracy is something like 300' reduces to 30'. By far the most important thing is to get a 406 MHz ELT in your airplane, then obsess over the small stuff if you want to.
    Without GPS 1 - 3 nautical miles or about 25 square miles, depending on signal strength. With GPS about 300 feet.

Personally I'd rather have them searching a football field length area, especially out here with the big hills and unfriendly terrain.

Greg

You are right Greg; I was going by memory and had the 300' right but not the 1-3 miles. Yes in mountainous, forested terrain the gps accuracy would be more advantageous.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just to clarify, I was also a little off; it's a 1 - 3 mile radius, and a 300 foot radius or 2 football fields long. Just didn't want anyone to get a false sense of security.

Greg

I may reconsider one of these days and hook up my gps since I do occasionally fly over mountains and forest. However I usually try to follow roads (IFR).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS