Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Help

Default Trailer Help

Hopefully there is someone in the Tallahassee area or anywhere nearby that has a trailer to haul a Kitfox. Paul Zimmerman is stuck in Tallahassee with a suspected sprag clutch issue and needs to trailer it to Lockwood in Sebring or possibly back home to Texas.

Paul is in Texas now getting his truck and will be driving back to Tallahassee.. so anyone that might have a trailer along that route please help.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Default Re: Trailer Help

I wonder if its worth contacting mark sorinson of arrising trailers in georgia. He specializes in aircraft trailers and goes to the sebring show. Maybe he would have a loaner.

I talked with Mark Sorenson, he has a completed trailer that is sold. I asked him to contact the owner, and offer him $1000 to lease his trailer to do the transport. He said he would contact him and let me know.

I also checked at Big Tex Trailer they have a Car Hauler with a flat bed wood floor, that is about 83 3/4 inches wide X 18 ft for $2495 that I could make work. They also have the same trailer only with a steel floor 83 inches wide X 18 ft, for $300 per week. I would have to load the plane with propeller forward, and I would need to build some ramps to do it.

I told him I would wait until tomorrow to make the decision because I was waiting on a response from Mark Sorenson.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-15-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

The Big Tex Trailer Car Hauler with a steel floor 83 inches wide X 18 ft, for $300 per week. They had to do the annual inspection on the trailer it should be available, I’m guessing, Tuesday. I am going to go check the other Big Tex in West Dallas / Irving Area latter today.

I haven’t received a response from Mark Sorenson.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I would have to load the plane with propeller forward, and I would need to build some ramps to do it.
    I would caution about pulling the plane nose forward. This was done with mine and bent the back. I am not sure if it was improperly secured or exactly the whole story as this was done before I bought the plane. I was told the tail wanted to fly and bent the back. I have only pulled planes tail first on an open trailer with no issues (Avid) so I could be totally wrong. Just a word of caution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I would caution about pulling the plane nose forward. This was done with mine and bent the back. I am not sure if it was improperly secured or exactly the whole story as this was done before I bought the plane. I was told the tail wanted to fly and bent the back. I have only pulled planes tail first on an open trailer with no issues (Avid) so I could be totally wrong. Just a word of caution.
    Thanks for letting me in on this. I found a 22 foot boat trailer on Craigs List for $400 I am going to go look at as soon as the man replies with his address. He told me it was still available. It is long enough I could haul the plane tail first. Would you want the rudder tied Up or Down, if you are trailering it tail first?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Here I am in Meridian after Coley and I got the plane running again from the flooding issue. Damned I have gotten FAT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have trailered these planes both ways many times, and cannot understand why trailering forward would cause an issue? I actually think they trailer better forward. Trailering forward is more like it flies.

I've almost tore a rudder off a Kitfox trailering it backwards in high winds. And yes, I had boards as braces holding it from moving, but the newer planes with the tall vertical fin and rudder are hard to brace for strong winds. I ultimately had to remove the rudder on the side of the road.

Also had a friend trailering his backwards that tore his elevators in half from a semi passing him on the interstate, but I think his bracing was poor.

And the worst one was a friend trailering his plane (backwards) to airport for 1st flight. Wings apparently weren't secure, one wing swung out hitting a light pole, which ripped the whole plane off the trailer, leaving a completely trashed airplane on the side of the road (number one reason I ALWAYS put on a safety rope between wings along with metal braces when I trailer my folding wing planes. A $2 piece of rope would've avoided that whole situation).

If it were me I'd trailer it forward, using a car hauler or flatbed trailer with tandem axles and some weight to it to absorb the bumps (light trailers bouncing the plane around is really bad, Avid learned that early on with trailering their prototype around). And I'd brace the tail feathers extra good with carpeted boards bolted together at tbe ends, add a safety rope to keep wings from any possibility of moving out, and make absolutely certain there's padding/bracing so the flaperons will stay in their up position (that might have been cause of kitfox rear fuse damage in the previous picture?)

Also make sure to use the steel braces that go from the leading edge pin to the lower strut attach so as to avoid any damage to the rear carry through spar (aka as the head rack). And drain all the fuel into cans so as to minimize weight on the rear spar attach area.

And of course double up on securing the entire plane to the trailer using the flex of the gear to absorb bumps, but also secure it so if a gear was to fail the aircraft would still be secured to the trailer. (Fwiw, dont trust tailwheel springs, block the plane up so weight is off tail spring, then tie it. Those lightweight, small tail springs don't handle road bumps well).

And last, tie the prop so it can't turn, avoiding potential engine or gearbox issues from turning dry.

Oh, and if someone suggests shrink wrapping it, don't do it. Hot sun will extra shrink the wrap enough to bend things, causing lots of damage by the time you get home.

I feel for you Paul, and if I lived near you I'd be more than happy to help you get your beautiful Kitfox home. Unfortunately I'm a thousand miles the other direction

One last suggestion I just thought of, maybe look into those plane mover guys that sometimes advertise on Barnstormers. They use enclosed trailers, which is still the best way to avoid damage, especially long distance.

Hang in there buddy. You'll get it home soon and fixed and will be back to enjoying it like you used to before
    Last edited by av8rps; 01-16-2016 at 10:15 AM.

When I towed backwards I had the tail down but also had the wings off. I also towed at 55 to 60mph and I know some of the interstate speeds are much higher than that. It sounds like Av8rprs has much more experience than I and you may be best to follow his suggestions.
    Norm

Rodney Wren has offered assistance in picking the plane up. I just waiting for the guy with the Boat Trailer to return to my request to look at the trailer. Rodney also said he could help with welding if any was needed. Thank you Rodney.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas