Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin size

Default Cabin size

Is there any difference in the 4 & the 5 models cabin size ? I sat in a 5 today and fit fine, but I'm looking at a 4 model to buy.

Thanks

Default Re: Cabin size

Yes there is definitely a difference. The 5 is a larger airplane than a 4.

Don't let that dissuade you from investigating the 4, though. You may be just fine in the smaller cabin. I'm short, but stocky (ahem) 5'-9" and 225#. I have no issue with my 4 and actually reset the rudder peddles closer because there was too much leg room.

I flew my plane from northern Georgia to northern Wisconsin with a passenger my size. We were cozy, but comfortable.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I went to a fly in at SUUV Sullivan MO last year or so, a guy that flew in had a model 4 speedster for sale in kit form with a 912 motor mount.
    Think I still have his number, Mike Zeigler his name , his number
    (314) 566-3359
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I was at that air show this last summer, just live down the road from there. Do you have any idea his price?

Gil

I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs and fit in my model 4 just great if that helps. In fact, I own two other aircraft with much larger cabins but actually prefer the nice snug fit (in a good way) of my Kitfox 4. It feels more like you put it on, rather than just crawling into it...

The 4 model I'm buying says it has long wings with speed tips. Can anyone explain to me just what that means? Any idea what the cruise would be with a 582?

Thanks

Gil

I've never heard of "speed" tips, but would suspect they are the Hoerner style as opposed to the droop tips. I have these tips on my plane (see photo albums).

Properly rigged you should see at least 85 mph out of that setup.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The droop tips are Hoerner tips. Speed tips are normal rounded tips. The rounded tips make it easier to see beyond the wing tip. With the Hoerner tips your view straight out of the cabin past the wingtips is restricted. However, they are supposed to help with STOL performance

Ralph

Hoerner tips are not droop tips. Look in the Kitfox optional accessories catalog to see the Hoerner tips.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I think you meant to say "Speedster" tips, which are the Hoerner style tips they first put on the Kitfox Speedster to help reduce wingtip drag. They are less draggy than the older droop tips used on all previous Kitfoxes. I really like them on my 4.

I once test flew a model 4 1050 with a 582 and a warp drive 3 blade prop on a big set of Full lotus floats with a large incidence angle on the float rigging (meaning, in flight the bows of the floats were way down when the fuselage was flying level, in other words, huge drag...) and it would cruise at a real 90 mph without trying too hard.

So I personally think a 582 model 4 on wheels should be able to do 100+ with some minimal efforts to keep it light and clean up the most logical drag areas (wing struts, jury struts, tail fairings, etc., etc.)

That will be a fun airplane.