Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: wing mounting

Default wing mounting

I am mounting the wings onto the fuselage and have a question. The distance between rib 1 and 3 is to be 35 1/2 inches. It looks like the instruction drawing show this center to center of the rib is this correct?
    Setting the dihedral, the written instructions say : place a level on the front spar however the drawing is showing the rear spar from the level of 13/16" spacing. There are inconsistencies here and there just making sure I do this right.
    Also, drilling a couple of the holes through the lift strut attachments while they are still attached to the lift struts and plane once the dihedral, washout and wing alignment is complete seems the thing to do before removing the wings. With a few clecos set in place these fittings will not move while removing the wings. Any advise is good here, this is an important step.
    Great site, I am learning with every post I read, thanks for this help.
    7SS

Default Re: wing mounting

When doing the dihedral adjustment, in year 2014, I noticed the discrepancy in the instruction. I called the factory and was told to correct the instructions to read REAR SPAR. The rear spar is then used as the reference to set the wash-out. This is for a SS7.

Be sure to get that spacing correct or you will have big issues installing your flaperon brackets. As I recall, all the ribs in the wing are the same spacing but look ahead to flaperon install to be sure.

So to clarify concerning setting the dihedral, once the REAR spar is set for 1 degree it is left clamped and the front spar is adjusted for the washout? I was setting the front spar for the correct dihedral and moving the rear spar to get the correct washout as generally indicated by the manual ignoring the discrepancy noted previously. I'm a little confused as once the washout is adjusted it seems the 1/2' difference between brackets and dihedral of one spar is going to change relative to the other. Thanks, Greg

Greg I set my dihedral and was out as per Service letter 25b , states the same as my manual. Dihedral on the Fwd spar and washout on the rear .
    Mike.

Red face Re: wing mounting

Greg: I should have reviewed my post before hitting submit...what I actually meant to say was: I set my dihedral as per Service letter 25B and my manual: I used my fwd spar to set the dihedral, and rear spar was used to set the washout. All settings came out perfect.