Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Strobes/ Nav Lights

Default Re: LED Strobes/ Nav Lights

Here are some other pics as well... Also there is no power external power supply needed.. just wire, switch and fuse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdmcbean; 12-29-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    I'm willing to bet that Rotax uses a standard automotive alternator of some kind..
    Mickey - For what it is worth - I have and use the 40 amp aux alternator - I could be wrong; however, the alternator looks an awful lot lot like the Nippo Denso unit on a 84 Toyota pickup except for a different driven pulley and the alternator housing rotated 90 degrees. There is more to it than the alternator, mount and belt though - the drive pulley is a three piece unit composed of the sheave screwed to split plates so that the pulley can be slipped over the prop flange, assembled to the split hub behind the prop flange and then held together to the back side of the prop flange with the collar nuts anchoring the prop bolts - I am betting the machine work going into the drive pulley accounts for a considerable amount of the cost of the aux alternator kit in addition to the mount and brackets - the whole works does fit well under the series 7 cowl - but then there is the extra weight issue.

Dave S

I will be building an S7 SS (the kit is on order). Since I will be attending AirVenture next week, I thought I'd try to purchase a nav/strobe lighting system while I'm there, because sometimes the vendors offer show specials and free shipping. I have been looking online at both the AeroLED and the AveoFlash LSA systems. It appears that the AveoFlash system has been further improved since their original system came out. It appears to be slightly lower in weight, and if I am reading the technical information correctly, it may use slightly less amperage than the AeroLED system. Also, it is about $155 cheaper than the AeroLED system. Does anyone have any current experience with both systems? Is there any good reason not to consider the AveoFlash system over the AeroLED system? I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer.

First I have the Aeroled system and it seems to work well, as for the answer you didn't ask for I would wait on this purchase. Unless you are a speed builder there will likely be another Oshkosh (or 2 or more) before you are done and there may well be continued development in these technologies. In general don't buy the techy bits until you need them (including radios, gps systems and other "glass" stuff)
    I know, 2 cents you didn't ask for.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dvanlanen, You're a ways off on needing the Led system. I'd probably wait until closer in the build to needing them. Things are changing quickly in that industry. Led products are rapidly improving. AeroLED's are great and the company is easy to deal with. Kitfox Aircraft are dealers and will be at Oshkosh so you could get their impressions of the systems.

Congrats. on your 7 Super Sport order. You're going to love flying it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion to wait on purchasing tech items until needed. It makes sense. But in this case I expect to be building the wings as one of my first steps, so wouldn't I need to install the lights before cover?

Thanks,
    Dave

If you build with removable wingtips (I believe thats recommend), you can install lights easily at any time.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Good point, but I would need to at least install the wire in the wing before covering, if I want to properly secure the wire along its route through the wing. The only risk there would be that I might install the incorrect wire for a lighting system that I purchase at a future point in time(?)

Wings seem to be the first item everyone wants to build but my experience shows they probably should be about the last. Usually they get covered and hung up in the shop/hangar for 1 to 2 years or longer all the time prone to damage and many do suffer some damage. Fuselages take the bulk of the building time. Easily wheeled out of harms way when time to build the wings. Wings have suffered drop damage, vermin damage, overspray, burned fabric from grinding or welding near by ect. You get the picture.
    Some builders have had to move several times during their builds and the wings again the most fragile part gets subject to possible damage during transport. If you want experience in covering you can always start with the elevator, rudder and horizontal stabilizer. Smaller parts and easier to redo if you don't like the results. Van's always starts out new builders with the vertical stabilizer to gain experience. We can do the above mentioned items at less risk than something large and fabric consuming like the wings. You'll be practiced and good at covering by the time they come around in the build process. Gives you time to sweat learning the rib stitching knot. Something to think about.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

theres not much you can do to secure the wiring . it runs inside the aft spar . when i aquired my kit the wings were already covered and there was a pull cord in the aft spars tied off at both ends . when i installed the wiring for the strobes and nav lites i put them in that black split flexiable conduit to protect them in the spar . maybe yours will be different .
    good luck with the project , youll certainly learn a lot
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa