Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matco brakes

Default Re: Matco brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I could never get my Matco brakes to work acceptably either.

These brakes are now strong enough to hold the plane at a full power run-up, or even nose it over if I wanted.
    In the old days - Sorry - the inability to nose over was considered a virtue. That being said, I have had Matco original kit supplied brakes on both my Model IVs. I was able to initiate a nose over on the first one, but caught it in time, and have had no issues with the new ones braking wise, except for having to replace the original 1992 pads - they crumbled and fell out. There are literally tons of guys out there still running their original Matco's but we each have our priorities for sure.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Because I could not get braking to my satisfaction I just got my taildragger endorsement in a Citabria Super Decathlon. With that plane you Can do the run ups properly and spin the plane 180 on one wheel. After seeing what very good brakes can do it makes me fearful with brakes on the Kitfox that takes a thirty foot circle to the left to 180 turn and virtually impossible to turn 180 to right. I hate to spend the money but the Grove system of two pucks sounds like the right ticket.

I had Matco's on my model 4 tri-gear when it was first flown. Even after burning the rotors and pads in properly the Matco's were marginal at best.

I replaced them soon after with Cleveland brakes and wheels and the difference was incredible. I can do full throttle run ups with the 100 hp Rotax and I can lock up the main gear anytime with too much pressure on the pedals on blacktop runways. Makes for very short landings if needed.
    They would certainly put a taildragger on it's back quickly if too enthusiastic on the brakes. The Grove wheels and brakes are as good as the Cleveland or better in stopping power.

I kept the Matco cylinders as they seem very effective if hooked to good calipers and pads.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Av8r3400 - what Grove brakes (model#) did you use? Were they a straight replacement for the Matcos, or did you have to make other changes to your setup?
    The Grove calipers were not replacements for the Matcos. I replaced the entire bungee gear system with Grove aluminum spring gear and their own brakes, wheels, axles and mounts.

I already had the parts off a parts plane, so I am not sure exactly what the part numbers are, but I believe this is the ones. Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks Larry!
    RobS

You know I've posted here several times pleading for answers to lackluster MATCO brakes on my Type III. Not having a lot of KitFox experience, I didn't know what to expect in regard to their brakes. I was lead to believe, I was the only one who had a problem, but now I see from these replies, the problem is systemic. It looks like everybody has the same opinion of MATCO brakes ............ sick!

I know what good brakes are and how to handle a tail-dragger without nosing it over, but I don't know how to function with brakes that "almost" work. A lot of people will tell you they never use brakes, well I'm here to tell you, that I do, and consider them mandatory or you're just a passenger during final roll-out. I'd sure like to hear from some of you who have a MATCO system with solid brakes.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

I haven't given up yet, but I'm close.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

I've got the original Matco's with MC-1 cylinders (pilot side brakes only). They work fine with my 21" Nancos. I have almost nosed over twice now, but I think I've learned. I've done nothing special except for drilling the disks with lightening holes.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I already posted my experience with the Matcos, but Paul's response reminded me of a couple of things. I replaced the original linings on both of the brake sets on the two Model IVs. The first one, I did drill the rotors for weight reduction, but on the second I reduced the rotor dimensions to only the portion that was actually in contact with the pads - also for weight reduction. The second time, I replaced the pads with Cleveland linings - Part # 66-106 (Aircraft Spruce) A caution, the rivets sold for the installation are too short by about a sixteenth inch or so.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    I've got the original Matco's with MC-1 cylinders (pilot side brakes only). They work fine with my 21" Nancos. I have almost nosed over twice now, but I think I've learned. I've done nothing special except for drilling the disks with lightening holes.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. My problem is still one of not getting all the air out when bleeding, because I still don't have a firm pedal. When (and if) I ever get that solved, maybe the brakes will be adequate.

Thanks again,
    Chuck Gruby

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    I already posted my experience with the Matcos, but Paul's response reminded me of a couple of things. I replaced the original linings on both of the brake sets on the two Model IVs. The first one, I did drill the rotors for weight reduction, but on the second I reduced the rotor dimensions to only the portion that was actually in contact with the pads - also for weight reduction. The second time, I replaced the pads with Cleveland linings - Part # 66-106 (Aircraft Spruce) A caution, the rivets sold for the installation are too short by about a sixteenth inch or so.
    Same response as before ...........

I'll keep working on the bleeding problem.
    Thanks for the help,
    Chuck Gruby