Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Takeoff wing dips

Default Takeoff wing dips

My plane is a Kitfox III and was made in 1994? It has always flown true both at take off and all other times. Late last summer I noticed on take offs that my right wing (wing with gas tank) would dip and plane would swing somewhat to the right. Particularly more so with a passenger. I would have to counter with opposite aileron and some rudder.

Now of course I realize under these cases there is can be additional weight on that side, but until then it was not noticeable or as profound. I am wondering if something has changed in the ailerons or the wings and needs to be adjusted? Has anyone had similar problems. You can also call me at 909-815-9481. Keith

Default Re: Takeoff wing dips

I would check all the control connections from stick to flaperons to be sure nothing is loose just to be sure.

The first thing that comes to mind is a flaperon has gotten bent. A trailing edge bent down or up down just a little acts like a trim tab and will cause that wing to roll up or down. ie, trailing edge bent up will cause that wing to roll up and vise versa.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Tom, thanks. I will check that out. It is most unusual as as it started late last summer after no issues the previous 5 years and 250 hours on my plane. Made me feel at first like it was me. Something is amiss. The Kitfox as you know with the folding wings has a unique mechanism for all the control surfaces behind the seats.

Tom. Question for you as I suspect you too have a Kitfox. With a passenger in your plane under normal takeoffs ... Are you using any flaps?

I have a classic 4. I like to use about an inch up on the flap handle for takoff and climb. When I start the takoff run I put my fingers around the stick but do not hold on to it. The stick will float to neutral, the tail comes up without any back pressure, then I hold the stick and it lifts off about when the plane is level, accelerate to about 80 mph in ground effect then pull back to climb.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Kieth,

I would start by proving that my washin/washout was the same for each wing. You right wing may be set at a little higher angel of attack than the left one. You can see this when you stall the plane, the right wing would stall before the left. Be very careful doing these measurements. If you don't know how, find an A&P to help you.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

do you have strut fairings. I don't have mine glued in place and had one twist once and did about the same thing

Not sure what you mean by strut fairings and gluing yours. Can you elaborate?

He is referring to the plastic wing strut fairings that are an option. They should be bonded in place - if left un bonded, they might act as an airofoil section and affect the rigging.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Similar to what is being done in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images