Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquired Kitfox Kit + Floats - tips on selling, liability, etc

Default Aquired Kitfox Kit + Floats - tips on selling, liability, etc

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum (and Kitfoxes/aircraft in general). I'm looking for your help/advice on what to do with a Kitfox plane that we have in our possession. My wife's father passed away last year and left a partially completed Kitfox.

Here is what I know about it:
    -He bought the kit in the late 80's or early 90's and started to assemble it/have it assembled then.
    -Right now it appears to be a fully assembled frame, with the landing gear attached.
    -We also have floats, which I know he bought used.
    -There is no engine, and I am not sure if I even know if there are wings.
    -I have a bunch of boxes with many parts for the aircraft in it.

My questions:
    -Are there any liability concerns I need to be aware of before selling this?
    -What could I expect to get for this? I am located in MN.

Thanks!

Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Aquired Kitfox Kit + Floats - tips on selling, liability, etc

Adam,

Not much to work on here; but, I'll try.

Liability?......Techincally you do not have an aircraft....it's parts...I doubt that liability is an issue with parts in a kit since it wouldn't be registered by the manufacturer (which would be your father in law if it were finished and registered) at this point; but, for a legal correct opinion you need to check with an aviation lawyer - there are at least two of them in the Twin Cities area. We're pretty much technical people/builder/flyers and not lawyers on this list.

I don't think anyone could even guess what someone would be willing to pay without more information like what model, serial number, original bill of sale, build manuals, construction logs for work already done, parts inventory, etc. Some things like rubber parts and chemicals are expendable if they are this old.

You might want to educate yourself by checking Barnstormers on the web for equivalent situations, but you really need to get the identity, documentation and what is included nailed down - otherwise it's a "or best offer" in the blind.

If you have some parts, this list is a good place to advertise.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Hi Adam, I live up in northern Mn, (Chisholm) and will try to answer your questions, maybe with more questions. Liability is probably not much of a concern. Right now it's just a bunch of parts and I wouldn't worry to much about that concern. As far as value, that would depend on a lot of different things, how much is missing from the kit, what model it is, I can tell it's not a Kitfox 1 by the shape of the doors, and the years you mentioned may mean it's a Kitfox 3 or 4. Some more pictures and if you have the serial # that would help as well. If there is an instruction manual and factory invoices that should say what model it is as well. As far as floats go, Different types and condition would determine value as well. Are they straight floats or amphibian floats (have wheels and can land on water or land.) Feel free to give me a call if you like, 218-254-2404 Jim Chuk

PS just looking at you picture and comparing to pictures I have of my Kitfox 4 classic 1200 fuselage, it is not the same as mine. It might be an earlier model 4 or older model than that. Yours appears to have the shorter verticle stabilizer and tubing on verticle stabilizer extends further forward on yours than it does on mine. A picture that showed the fuselage behind the seat better would confirm what mixer controls are used. These controls are the same on the models 1,2,3 and completely different on the Kitfox 4. Actually more pictures of everything would help us to give you a better answer.
    Last edited by avidflyer; 04-20-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Looks like a Model 4 or earlier, because the door opening tubing is round, and it has the Float Tabs on the side tubes. As everyone is saying the Liability in my opinion is nonexistent. It is a bunch of parts, not a plane. You would be selling a Kit, and the Liability if any would go back to Denny Aircraft, which went bankrupt, and was bought out by Kitfox. It doesn't look like much has been done, the seat isn't installed, does it have the rudder pedals installed? I wouldn't hesitate putting it up for sale. But you definitely need to know and have the model, the serial number, the Builders Book or Logs, Bill of Sale from Denny Aircraft would be good. If you know a lawyer, it would be good to ask, but I personally would find out the info on the Kit and put it on Barnstormers, and on this Web page in the Kitfox Kit for Sale. I am sure someone would be more than willing to purchase it for a fair price. When the person who buys is finishes the plane, they will be listed as the builder of the Airplane, which would make them the Liable for the Aircraft Build.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks for all of the info. The next time I go drive up North to see the plane I will take more pictures, and will see what documentation I can come up with. Everything is very organized and labeled, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I am not as versed on these planes as others on here but if I can help with any identification you can call/pm me also. I'm in north central MN.

I picked up the entire kit + parts over the weekend and now have them at home in my garage. I figured out a bit more info:

Kit: Model IV purchased in early 1992. Serial 1610. (Kit was purchased for $11,000 in 1992). Fuselage was modified per Skystar instruction to increase gross weight to 1200 lbs.
    Floats: Stoddard Hamilton GlasFloats 1101 straight floats. Purchased in 1994. Gel coat finish (Were $7,000 in 1994)
    Parts: Lots of receipts and parts acquired over the years.

I took pictures of everything this afternoon, and will work on getting them uploaded tonight.

Per earlier suggestion I think I'll post on barnstormers and just ask for best offer? Unless anyone has any ideas on what I should ask. Thanks.

I like ebay myself. I would list the floats and kit seperatly. You can set a reserve price so it doesn't sell if you don't go over that price. More pictures the better. If you don't know the value now, you won't know if you are getting realistic offers from barnstormers. I sold a couple of ultralights years ago on ebay for more than I was asking for on my barnstormers adds, and I never got a call from the barnstormers adds. If it doesn't sell on ebay, a lot of people will know about the plane and you are sure to get calls after the ebay auction is over if you have your # listed. You can always lower your reserve price the second time around and ebay doesn't charge extra for that. Just my 2 cents worth. Maybe after the pictures are up I can suggest a reserve price on things. (or make you an offer) NO NO I have 4 projects that need to be built or rebuilt now.... :-) Jim Chuk

Ok, I got a ton of photos updated. I tried to get everything since I do not know a whole lot about what I have.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11396...83224155132065

Check it out, let me know your thoughts. Also, I think I am missing the round aluminum pieces that make up the wing. I'm sure they are probably up at the cabin where it was kept. Looks like there should be 4? Thanks,

Adam

Any idea what happened to the engine? Looks like a 912 Rotax motor mount and muffler. Maybe the engine is sitting somewhere as well..... Jim Chuk