Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be a builder

Default Re: Soon to be a builder

going to be there around the end of May for about 2 weeks ..checking out a few places ..BBQ sounds great~!!
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Tick............Tock.............It's been 30 days since I ordered my kit and couldn't believe how soon it was coming. It's still scheduled to be here this week although I don't have a firm date yet. With that said, it has been a very slow month. Reminds me of being 10 and waiting for Xmas. Not getting much sympathy from non pilot friends and I thought, I know of some fellas (that's ya'll) that will understand my childish excitement. I have my building area sterilized, for the time being, and even put in a rolling tool drawer chest that has all the tools removed. I want to have everything prepared but figure I should start working on it first and that will determine which tools are most readily needed. With all this, I do have a question. I have the quick build wings and believe I will be working on fuselage first. How should I store the wings until I need to work on them? Should I hang them on the walls?

Mike

I know the anticipation. When I ordered my kit, I ordered Quick build wings. When the spars came in from the supplier the entire shipment was rejected by the factory because of scratches. Delayed delivery about about a month on kit. Factory volunteered to deliver the rest of kit and ship wings for free when they were ready. Didn't want them to spend the extra $$ to do that so I said I would wait. Ship everything together. One of the longest waits of my life!!

I built a wing rack to store wings. If you have the space it is a good option. You will need the rack eventually.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

You can hang them on the wall with those garage hooks that are covered in rubber. The kind people hang bikes from etc. Get a few. I found it handy to hang the struts, horz, stab, vert stab, rudder, elevator, and doors from hooks.

I built the tails feathers first, then the wings. After covering and paint, hung them on the walls to get them out of the way. Then with room to work, began the fuselage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome, thanks guys.

Mike

Hi Mike - I too understand what you are feeling - I had my kit shipped (literally) across the pacific and the shipping company gave all the details of the ship - so I tracked the ship every day as it frustratingly diverted to avoid weather and nodded its way slowly to Australia. Worth the wait though.

As for the storage of the wings, I reckon the racks that the guys suggest are the way to go although I just stored them o the floor of the hanger ( plenty of space) using the pink foam blocks they are packed with to support them.

You could also busy yourself making up some rotisseries for the wings if you haven't already done so - they are almost essential for covering and painting the wings later. There are plans for various versions of them on this site.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I made a sling style "rack" using lawn furniture webbing. The webbing supports the leading edge over ~4 inches total. The rack/cradle holds both wings. In the photo, one wing is in the rotation fixture being covered (with Oratex), the other is complete and behind it in the cradle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

As Ross said, I would highly recommend you build at least one (two are better) wing rotisseries. You will definitely need them to cover, stitch and paint and they also work great for storage while you do other things. It will keep you busy and your mind occupied while waiting for the kit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Sounds like great advice. I will get started on them as soon as I get back in town. Thanks all