Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be a builder

Default Soon to be a builder

Well, I've been stalking this forum for almost two years, surely seen every Kitfox video on youtube, read every published article, had several conversations with John and Debra, sold my Piper Cherokee, and ordered an S7 Super Sport kit this morning. Pretty excited and got even more excited when Debra told me that I can have it delivered next month. I will miss the Cherokee. She was a very reliable plane but truth be known, I logged more hours when I was renting a 150. I've been dreaming of building for a few years and would go back and forth on kits and scratch builds (and even own a few different sets of plans). The wife and I recently made a matrix of aircraft and established a scoring system on every attribute imaginable and the Kitfox was well ahead of every other plane in the final score. So for a quick introduction, my name is Mike and I live in southwest Missouri. I spent my young adult life in the Army and spend my current mid years employed by a defense contractor. I am married with 3 children and only the youngest still remains in the nest. The other two children remain in our home state of Texas along with my grandson. I have only been flying for 5 years but flying has consumed more daydreams in those 5 years then I could possibly compare to anything else. Haven't received my taildragger endorsement but there is a Rans S7 at a nearby airport that I can receive instruction in and rent to remain current. My entire point of this post was to announce that I too am now a Kitfox builder and I've seem to run on a bit. The amount of support in these forums was an attribute on my list and look forward to all ya'lls help.

Mike

Default Re: Soon to be a builder

Congrats on your choice of the SS7 Kitfox. You'll love the way it flies. The build is exciting and you'll have lots of support here and from Kitfox Aircraft.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Congratz on your decision on your S7 Mike and welcome aboard! Glad to have another Missourian among us.

Cubtractor and I are in and around the Joplin area, Skypirate is from Rolla, Mo. and is making us up some patches and t-shirts. Gawilkie is just east of Springfield, finishing his kitfox. Skypirate is an Army vet., I'm Navy, ret.

As I'm just a noob starting a Classic IV so I won't be to much help, but the lads here are a good bunch and glad to steer you right.

If you can make it, Skypirate and I will be in Miller, Mo this Saturday at the Hanger Cafe for the better part of the day. It's a bit northwest of Mt. Vernon, Mo. Look for the 1969 maroon 428cj mustang. The Mrs (Diane) or myself should be close by.
    Skypirate will be flying over in his Kitfox.

April 4 – Miller, MO – Kingsley Field (MO9) 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM Hangar Kafe Second Anniversary Celebration. This will be an all day event drop in anytime for: Live Music, Great Food, Sky Diving, Car Show. Contact Phone: 417-452-2277 or 417-452-3831.

All the best,

Brett
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Welcome Mike~!

I just sent you an E mail concerning this week end hope you can make it,..
    for sure it should be a good time at Kingsley

that's a quick turn around for delivery Awesome~!

Thanks for your service in the Army

good chance we can get you a ride this week end in a tail dragger close to the same as the 7 : )

Im not far from Fort Leonardwood..went thru basic back in the 70's there and moved back here from Camp Lejuene NC about 8 years ago..wife is from Texas and desires to move back soon to Dallas area
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

you know I can't wait to see Brett's 1969 Mustang Mach 1! and I really hope he forgets and leaves the keys in that bad boy and a full tank of gas while he is eating lunch~! lol
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

"you know I can't wait to see Brett's 1969 Mustang Mach 1! and I really hope he forgets and leaves the keys in that bad boy and a full tank of gas while he is eating lunch~! lol"

...Probably so, but Diane's not as nice and congenial as I am
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

whats her favorite dessert? and gosh I hope they have it at the Cafe'
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

wont be hard to find me..look for the best looking guy on the field ..ha ha ha just kidding..I will be with Brett n Diane or near the white model 5 with eagle on the side ..the other great looking kitfox in the photo is Mike B's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Mike-- Good luck with the build. You will love the Kitfox. They are like driving a Ferrari compared to a Buick-like Cherokee. (I have almost 800 hours in Cherokees, too. )

Let me be the first to suggest that when you are nearing completion of the plane, take a vacation to Idaho and see Paul at Stick and Rudder to get some type specific refresher training.

Ad that to your future S7 time and you'll do well with the plane.

Again, Congrats and Welcome to the Kitfox community!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Good decision Mike!

The amount of support in these forums was an attribute on my list and look forward to all ya'lls help.

This is a a very important criteria from my experience - these guys are generous and wise - I have benefited from their generosity as I am sure you will too!

have fun

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)