Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS7 and Rotax 912 ULS Temperatures

Default SS7 and Rotax 912 ULS Temperatures

The outside temperate was about 45 degrees here in Ohio today and I was about 3000ft msl. I have never flown in another Kitfox and have nothing to compare to so I thought I would ask you guys to take a look and tell me if Oil/Cyl/EGT/CHT temps (and anything else you might notice) looks normal. Not exactly sure why Cyls 1 and 2 have lower EGTs than 3 and 4 since carbs feed 1/3 and 2/4. Is there a need to adjust anything and if so what would you adjust to get EGT temps on 1/2 closer to 3/4. I have 113hrs on the new 912 ULS. Cyl temp probes on 1/4 (I think)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Default Re: SS7 and Rotax 912 ULS Temperatures

Looks fairly normal to me, my #4 CHT runs about 202 under those conditions. My understanding is EGT can be very sensitive to probe placement (and may naturally be a bit cooler on the front cylinders??)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Yeh, they look pretty good.
    It would be nice to get the oil temp above 212 F . The cyl head temp sensors are on cyls #2 and #3 , they look good.

I have an inflight adjustable prop and have found that with loading the prop/engine I can make the egts change , adding pitch lowers the rear two and raises the front two egts. If I had temps as in your picture, I would increase prop pitch and could get them pretty close to even on all four egts . Too much pitch the front go higher than the rear.

This is what I have noticed with my dynon 120 ems , 4 egts.
    Last edited by kmach; 03-11-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Thank you for both of your comments. I learned something from both. I hadn't thought about the probe placement , but now that makes sense that since both probes are right up front at the exhaust header curve they definitely would be cooler. I was puzzled as to how a carburater mal-adjustment could be causing that. I will add some duct tape over the oil cooler to bring the oil temp up a bit to boil off water. Thanks for pointing that out. Another question...does the speed at that RPM and under those flight conditions come close to what others would see in their planes?
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Do you have one of the oil thermostats they are putting in the SLSAs? They sure do help reduce the warm up time. Before I put it in if the temperatures outside were in the 40s of below it would take 45 minutes for my oil temperature to get over 110 degrees. You aren't suppose to take off unless they are 120 degrees. I finally put one in, I went to the airport, to do a run up after my annual, it took about 10 minutes to get to 120 degrees. Seeing your in Ohio, and I'm in Texas, you might consider one.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Yes, I have the thermostat and I warm up in 10-12minutes when the air temp is in the 40s
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Jch View Post
    I will add some duct tape over the oil cooler to bring the oil temp up a bit
    I would use foil tape, it will stand up to the head better and not be as difficult to remove.
    Ralph

I use masking tape, hangs in there well, leaves no residue, an is easy to get off. Judd at the Kitfox factory recommended it.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks, I will try that.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

FWIW I think your oil temp is fine as is.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive