Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use of Hysol epoxy

Default Re: Use of Hysol epoxy

used to have to repair dents and tares in cargo bin floors with an epoxy . common practice was to put the A part and B part tubes on the windshield defroster vents with the heat on high of the pickup . the epoxy would be so thin that it would run out of the tubes after it got up to temp. only problem was you would have about a millisecond after the A and B were mixed to get it in place before the epoxy set up
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Just a heads up guys loctite says that once it goes below 7C it's garbage. Not sure if they are only covering there butts but... I have thrown out my cans that have gotten too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Just a heads up guys loctite says that once it goes below 7C it's garbage. Not sure if they are only covering there butts but... I have thrown out my cans that have gotten too cold.
    Here's the CYA from Loctite

"Optimal Storage: 8 °C to 21 °C. Storage below 8 °C or greater than 28 °C [46 to 82F] can adversely affect product properties. Material removed from containers may be contaminated during use. Do not return product to the original container. Henkel Corporation cannot assume responsibility for product which has been contaminated or stored under conditions other than those previously indicated. "

I don't recall seeing a temperature controlled van delivering the product. The 8C to 28C range is so narrow I doubt any epoxy reaches the end user without exceeding the temperature range.

Using heat for mixing or cure is ok.

"LOCTITE® EA 9460TM can also be fully cured with heat such as; 6 to 8 hours at a maximum temperature of 149 °C."

After warming to ease mixing it cools down rapidly in a paper cup. I sometimes use a small space heater to speed the cure process. I don't think I ever get it up to 149C or 300F. Yeouch that's hot.
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 03-14-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: formatting

I keep mine at home. When I go to the hangar to work, I set the two cans near my heater to keep them warm. I mix 30 ounces of each per batch and have more ribs ready than I plan to glue so I always scrape my mixing cup clean. I glue the left over spots the next day. No waste. I always work all day on stuff and glue one batch at quitting time so I don't bump into anything with fresh glue.

The wife doesn't care about hysol in the house because i distract her with my dash on the kitchen table

Hey! Look at John's avatar! He lost his captains shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    Here's the CYA from Loctite

"Optimal Storage: 8 °C to 21 °C. Storage below 8 °C or greater than 28 °C [46 to 82F] can adversely affect product properties. Material removed from containers may be contaminated during use. Do not return product to the original container. Henkel Corporation cannot assume responsibility for product which has been contaminated or stored under conditions other than those previously indicated. "

I don't recall seeing a temperature controlled van delivering the product. The 8C to 28C range is so narrow I doubt any epoxy reaches the end user without exceeding the temperature range.

Using heat for mixing or cure is ok.

"LOCTITE® EA 9460TM can also be fully cured with heat such as; 6 to 8 hours at a maximum temperature of 149 °C."

After warming to ease mixing it cools down rapidly in a paper cup. I sometimes use a small space heater to speed the cure process. I don't think I ever get it up to 149C or 300F. Yeouch that's hot.
    Hey John, Thanks for looking into this.