Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voltage regulator/rectifier on 582

Default Voltage regulator/rectifier on 582

I have a KF3/582 equipped with a KeyWest regulator/rectifier. The regulator went bad about a year ago and I replaced it. Now, it seems to be going bad again. Sometimes my voltage shows nearly 14, hand swinging slightly with strobes on the it drops to 8 and is dead still, no rocking. I've checked grounds and all connections and find all ok. I have about 50 hrs on this regulator. Do they burn out with so short a life? Could the alternating drain of the strobe lights be causing it to burn out quickly? Anyone else experience this problem?
    WAYNE
    Maple Valley, WA

Default Re: Voltage regulator/rectifier on 582

Any idea on how much current you're drawing, with and without the stobes on? The regulator has to dissapate a fair amount of heat. How is it mounted? It should be in contact with the firewall if possible, or at least with good free air flow around it.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I went through a couple of the epoxy potted ones in about 200 hours, then bought the one with the cooling fins (cost twice as much) and that one lasted til I sold the engine at 600 hours. (Just my experience).
    JimS

For what it's worth, I'm using a motorcycle regulator (Yamaha Shindengen FH020AA) with MosFET technology. It provides solid voltage regulation and dissipates less heat than the original Rotax unit I had. It's designed for a three phase stator, but I'm only using a single phase.

EBay listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SHIND...ccf7ca&vxp=mtr

Caution! Like a lot of Chinese electronics, counterfeits are prevalent. Try to find a standup vendor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

My kit came with the epoxy pot regulator. I's still in the box. I bought the high dollar Rotax finned one instead. It lasted about 35 hours. Instructions said if it goes out you can hook up the other yellow wire and go again. I didn't do that, just got a Key west. Something over a hundred hours on it now and no problems.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The one that came with my engine is the Ducati with fins. Is this the one that isn't lasting very long? Since I have it, I will install it, but keep an eye on it. The instructions say to place it just aft of the firewall on the fuselage structure. This would seem to give it good air flow. Where have others put it without any problems?
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Is there any possible way to check one of these regulators while it is not connected.
    Last fall when I was about to go for a flight, all of a sudden the guages went wild with needles jumping all over the place. The voltage was going up and down at a fast rate. I shut the plane down and yanked off the regulator.
    I was leaving for the winter so I brought the regulator with me in hopes of getting it checked.
    It is the finned Ducati with just over 200 hrs. on it. I have noticed a couple of times a fluctuation in the voltage but it would quickly stabalize.
    This is what is stamped on the regulator:

9509 12VDC
    DUCATI energia

-- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Paul,

Thank you! Unfortunately I can't test it on the plane since I am currently in MD and the plane is in that frigid arctic state called Minnesota. I won't be home until late April or early May. Maybe I can find a Rotax guru somewhere over in this area that can check it out.

will this work> http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSFET-motor...xVCPH2&vxp=mtr
    AMie

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm using a motorcycle regulator (Yamaha Shindengen FH020AA) with MosFET technology. It provides solid voltage regulation and dissipates less heat than the original Rotax unit I had. It's designed for a three phase stator, but I'm only using a single phase.

EBay listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SHIND...ccf7ca&vxp=mtr

Caution! Like a lot of Chinese electronics, counterfeits are prevalent. Try to find a standup vendor.