Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: trailering enclosed trailer

Default Re: trailering enclosed trailer

I don't have an enclosed trailer, but still have to deal with the misalignment problem while winching the plane onto the trailer. I used to have to unload and reload as you described, but later discovered, just unhitch the trailer from the car and move the hitch end to align the plane and winch away.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Brett, & Chuck,
    Go look at the Photo Bucket, in the quote just below Brett's. When you first go to the Photo Bucket you'll get nothing. Look on the Left side you'll see a folder for Albums, under that see Kitfo Trailer select that. There is a photo at the second row from the bottom, that shows how it is used.

Also, there is a folder called Kitfox Tail Wheel, it showing the actual trailer set up and how it works. There is also a photo showing Aluminum Angles used to guide the plane in while whenching the plane into the trailer.

Also, I have one of the Flyers from the Business that build the trailer. I have an email with the PDF of his brochure I could email you today.

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post

Having a hard time visualizing the harbor freight trailer in use. Any pictures? Do you use this only at home, or is this the one that folds up so you can take it with you?
    Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by teamkitfox7788 View Post
    SkySteve and Paul Z

I posted a couple of batches of pictures on Photo bucket some time ago.

to get to them copy and paste the following into your browser. http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/N1...20N154K%202013

There are several sets of photos,click on one, if it opens, click on a photo to expand it and see notes for the photo, then click on an arrow next to the photo to go to the next photo

I am not good at this stuff and a couple of the files did not load photos so you will not get anything if you try to open those, sorry

BJ Kitfox IV 1050, Rotax 912, Roadtrek 190 motor home
    bjones@dmv.com
    Last edited by Paul Z; 03-08-2015 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added Chuck
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Guys,

The small tail wheel trailer is used both to tow the plane from house to local airport AND when loading the plane into the enclosed trailer. The plane stays on the tail wheel trailer when I strap it down and go across the country touring.

As mentioned it takes less than 8 minutes to unstrap the plane, pull it out of the enclosed trailer, swing the wings and be ready to fly. I will mention two things that make this so quick and easy. One is a nine foot wide enclosed trailer. Two is torsion axles giving a low floor and SHALLOW rear ramp door. These two things make loading and unloading the plane incredibly quicker and easier than with my old 8'6" wide trailer.

There are a bunch more little tricks that make loading, strapping and unloading quick and easy. Maybe another post. (Don't obsess about the nine foot wide trailer being "illegal". Your trailering skills are far more of an issue. Minor trailer width overage is a minor solvable concern.)

BJ Kitfox IV Rotax 912/80

Quote Originally Posted by teamkitfox7788 View Post
    Guys,
    I will mention two things that make this so quick and easy. One is a nine foot wide enclosed trailer. Two is torsion axles giving a low floor and SHALLOW rear ramp door. These two things make loading and unloading the plane incredibly quicker and easier than with my old 8'6" wide trailer.

There are a bunch more little tricks that make loading, strapping and unloading quick and easy. Maybe another post. (Don't obsess about the nine foot wide trailer being "illegal". Your trailering skills are far more of an issue. Minor trailer width overage is a minor solvable concern.)

BJ Kitfox IV Rotax 912/80
    BJ,
    I like the idea of the 9 foot trailer, but Looking at the State Regulations how do you "solve" the Minor Trailer width overage?

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-dimensions/
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    What are the plastic cutting boards under the tires for?
    5. If the wings look like they might touch the trailer walls while loading it , rather than pull the plane out and realigning it, try using four cheap plastic cutting boards. As the plane is coming in to the trailer, run each main gear tire up on two of the cutting boards. The plane can be slid a bit sideways as the cutting boards slide over one another to get better alignment of the plane with the trailer walls
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Paul on the photo reference, must have glossed over it. The pic's explained it all.

Nicely done. I can see now the difference in the 8.5 vs 9 ft. wide trailer. I really like that rig. Well thought out.

Don't know if our troopers could tell if it's 5" over in width. Agreed if you go strictly "by the book", 9 ft in most states is not legal. So for some, it's a no go situation. It's far more likely you'll get pulled over for a light out, an illegal turn or whatever.
    Now, If you go shooting off at the mouth, the officer might pull out the measuring tape, impound the trailer, and write a big expensive ticket just to make a point.
    Honestly though, in all my years towing the 5th wheel, I was never stopped and measured but tbh, it doesn't make it right.

I Wonder... if you wrote to the fed's, they would grant a special trailer waiver...
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

With the Trailer and Camping, I wasn't sure if it was a camping equipment. I thought they were making sure they didn't forget the cutting boards for the BBQ. Just joking!

Furniture skidders, aka Airplane Skidders good idea.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have a brochure from the man that sells these trailers they are offered in 8'6" or 9'. I like the Camping tent on the side, better than buying a motor home to go with the trailer!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Regarding a 9 foot wide trailer. I think I have done this type of post before but here goes again.

1. The really important concern is your ability or skill as the driver to handle the long, wide trailer well. Next is quality of equipment such as brakes, brake controller, (high capacity tires), ability to stay focused on distance between you and traffic ahead, always making sure you have a way out if another driver does something stupid, it will happen, using good judgment such as not towing inside cities, on small back roads, during rush hour around an unfamiliar really busy beltway, in the dark while its raining and winds are gusting with no shoulders to escape onto in an emergency braking situation. Oh, avoid old northeast bridges that are too narrow for wide vehicles and parkways that prohibit commercial vehicles, trailers, trucks. This is all just common sense and mostly dealt with in the traing online thru the application for an online annual blanket permit for over size loads.
    2. Have good equipment that is within rated capacity, that is loaded and balanced properly with load leveling and sway control equipment that all works together and handles nicely in emergency maneuvers. You actually have to test this by GRADUALLY making increasingly hard stops while making increasingly hard turns, in a safe area to see if a surprise might be waiting to rear its ugly head in a real hard core emergency situation where you could lose control.
    3. Most states have regulations that allow for towing oversize loads when they are viewed as impratical to break down to a narrower load, such as farm machinery, construction equipment, boats, office trailers etc. You see it all the time.
    4. Realize that 8'6" is 102 inches and 9' is 108 inches so about a 5 percent difference. Doing 60 or 64 in a 55 mph speed limit zone comes out to about a 9 to 15 percent difference. This may help give you some perspective.
    5. If you are uncomfortable with the very idea of towing an oversize load maybe you should not even consider it, Too much mental discomfort is not worth the bother.
    6. Most states allow you to go online, take a bit of rules and common sense training, and get a blanket oversize permit for the state good for a year. If you got stopped and told not to move your trailer you could probably do that with your smart phone and be legal to continue on fairly quickly. In decades I have never had to do this.
    7. I am an old construction equipment hauler and in the last decade or more I have also towed lots of personally owned sport fishing boats up and down the east coast. (Florida Keys to Long Island, as well as the Kitfox trailer Maine to California to Fl Keys every year) These boat rigs are always a good bit wider than 9 foot and easily twice as heavy as my Kitfox trailer rig. I compare notes with other guys at gas stations about their boats, big diesel pickups and towing permits. Years ago we used to get the online permits for overwide loads but the consensus is now that there is no need to bother unless you get close to 10 feet wide or look like you are a danger to yourself or others.
    8. Discussions with insurance agents come up with comments like if we denied claims every time someone got a ticket in an accident we would never pay claims and word would get around putting us out of business quickly. However, if you cost us too much money the insurance underwriters may up your rates or not renew your policy next time, that is the way they handle it.
    9. Oh, the business Maine Trailer, says they have no problem getting a trailer registered in Maine as 9 feet wide. And, If you look around lots of horse trailer, car trailer and utility trailers are tagged, titled and registered in Maine because the costs are lower than in most states by a long shot. Last I heard there were not inspections, and no sales tax if you already paid sales tax in another state. Guess what the state of Maine gets your tag and title fees and you may never drive on their roads so you cost them nothing and they get revenue. Check this for yourself. I have 14 trailers and most are long term (ten year) tags so I have not talked with Maine Trailer recently.

The real question is do you have the skill, attention to serious driving and can you apply common sense regarding when, where and under what circumstances to tow vs not tow. If you have the skills, can consistently pay close attention to driving and exercise good judgement, it can be done. Otherwise maybe it is not for you.

Hope this helps those who might be interested.

What is the web site for these?