Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: airspeed indicator

Default airspeed indicator

i'm in the market for an airspeed indicator for my ss7 under construction. so far, my other instruments are falcon. is kitfox talk usually in mph? what kind of max speed should I look for, 140,150,160? and I'm thinking its best to have one where the numbers have a good spread to them past 30 (not crunched together).
    thanks, ken

Default Re: airspeed indicator

Mine goes to 160 mph
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

The MGL ASI-1 is digital up to 250mph. Easy to read. Can be switched to km/h or knots. Programmable bugs, log, timer and trip counter. So you can have your cake and eat it to! Goes for about $280.

Ken,

I have a second hand Falcon ASI that goes to 160 MPH.....Something like $45 at Wentworth and works fine.

This one is calibrated in MPH only....The philosophical discussion about MPH vs Knots is just that....entirely philosophical.....as a practical matter either works.

I totally agree with your comment that having more spread between the numbers is good.....I also think the simplicity of a single scale, rather than both MPH & Knots is good...both on the same dial creates an unnecessarily busy display IMHO.

Personally I like the wider spacing of the numbers and single scale....I'd rather be looking out the window than squinting at the ASI any longer than necessary anyway.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 TRigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

My thoughts exactly Dave.
    Thanks for the info danzer1, sounds like a good unit but going for the traditional 6 pack look of dial gauges. Old fashion i guess.
    Ken

I have the traditional guages as well, 1 is a quad for egt/cht, i dont have a water temp guage yet, but its on the list, i've heard that some have had problems with the quad guages,
    So im building a new panel and havent commited yet to changing out the quad, i have a 2.25 tach that is getting replaced with a 3.25, and im still deciding on which com,i like the 2.25 radios size and weight,..sticking with the ifly gps, hopefully i will have a lighter panel when done, the builder used 1/8" aluminum im using .050
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I understand Ken - that's why we do what we do - we can each choose what we like.

This one is calibrated in MPH only....The philosophical discussion about MPH vs Knots is just that....entirely philosophical.....as a practical matter either works.
    One could argue, it is not entirely philosophical, if one deals with ATC on any regular basis. I am given knots all the time and it's just one less conversion I have to make when I can see them both or just flip flop to either one.

Greg - Go Broncos!

Chase,
    My 6 pack is 3 1/8 but i just bought a 2 1/4 tach. I hope its big enough to read.

I like MPH. I would say the vast majority of Kitfox owners talk in MPH. You might want to search other threads talking about cruise and stall. Can't rememeber when I last talked to ATC, but that is just me and maybe a couple of others.

The 2-1/4" tach. Not a problem. I find it much easier to see the relative pisition of a needle on a round gauge - even a relatively small round gauge than read the much smaller numbers on a digital readout.

Regarding the Quad Gauge. I liked it on my first Model IV and have another one on the new one. My understanding is that the new senders are more robust and reliable - also more expensive.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

good point about atc. I talk to Orlando atc about 2 times a month. the only thing they've ever said to me concerning speed is: "keep your airspeed up". I tell them: "i'm giving her all I've got captain". i'm only flying a Cherokee. wait till they see a fox coming in.