Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 60 of 119 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Thread: Where I Fly.

Default Re: Where I Fly.

Definitely not as crisp and clean as the images in recent posts, but long before HD video, a flight of eight formed up over the Sierra Nevada Mountains, just east of Cameron Park, (Sacramento area) CA for a group flight to Oshkosh in 2004. In keeping with the ideal of short videos, eleven hours of video was edited into 17 ~ five minute clips highlighting the airports, the terrain we over flew and the exploits of some of our more adventuresome pilots. As I was editing, I was impressed by the varying terrain we can fly over in the areas we call home. Some rugged and not so friendly in certain circumstances, and some being rather warm and fuzzy (at least on a clear day in mid summer). The in and out of Oshkosh segments, though not comprehensive, do give an idea of the approach and departure and of the professionalism of the volunteer crews there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nMsef4pg-OW7oh
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell, I just took in 3 of the videos starting with Chamberlain,SD to my hometown of Fairmont, MN. I learned to fly there in 1980 between blizzards and tornado alerts. I kind of giggled when Fairmont was listed as being in 3 different States. It is in Minnesnowda right now. Don't fret, it actually does move depending on the wind direction and velocity.

Loved the approach into Oshkosh. Three words any aviator would love to hear is "Welcome to Oshkosh".
    I'll watch the others soon. Thanks for all the work.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The radio silent approach to OSH…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5HvNShnOeM
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Watched arriving Oshkosh and leaving till Wyoming. Very nice! Have got to watch the rest. Wish I could do a trip like that. Jim Chuk

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Lowell, I just took in 3 of the videos starting with Chamberlain,SD to my hometown of Fairmont, MN. I learned to fly there in 1980 between blizzards and tornado alerts. I kind of giggled when Fairmont was listed as being in 3 different States. It is in Minnesnowda right now. Don't fret, it actually does move depending on the wind direction and velocity.

Loved the approach into Oshkosh. Three words any aviator would love to hear is "Welcome to Oshkosh".
    I'll watch the others soon. Thanks for all the work.
    Steve,
    Thanks for the gentle critique. It was a challenge editing and recognizing. I used Google Earth and runway numbers to identify airports and terrain, and was challenged at times because of the shifting magnetic North and new runway numbers and the construction on the fields over the years. Thankfully Google Earth has historical views and 2004 was frequently one of the historical choices. And my hearing has gone to the point that the "Welcome to Oshkosh" was mostly just noise above the roar of wind and engine. I am sure there are more glitches in the commentary, and would appreciate the heads ups.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,
    I'm sitting here in Mexico watching your videos instead of basking on the beach. What's wrong with me???? Your vids are great. Love flying along with you. I laughed out loud (which tipped my wife off that I was watching flying videos) when I saw your bearded photo on your YouTube channel. It's a great photo. Looks like it was taken on a boat during a different type of adventure. I have worn a beard most of my life to make me look older, which helped in business, but recently have gone clean shaven to make me look younger, to help me in business! We still have lots of adventures in us at our older, and hopefully wiser ages. I am looking forward to the rest of your videos as I can sneak time to watch them. Love 'em! Thanks for sharing.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    I laughed out loud (which tipped my wife off that I was watching flying videos) when I saw your bearded photo on your YouTube channel.
    Steve,
    I had to laugh a bit too. Like my dad, I was usually the guy behind the camera and searching for a picture, that might work, it was the one I found. Yes, I learned to fly in 1972, but within a couple of years, I was invited to join a crew on a racing sailboat - Sangvind - which pretty much put flying on the back burner until I started Kitfox building in 1993. I eventually worked the foredeck hoisting the jib and spinnaker sails with the usual rotations to the other stations and helm. We raced mostly in San Francisco bay, but did four off shore races - two from Marina Del Rae to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and two from San Francisco to Kauai, Hawaii. It was ten years of being on the boat usually two days a week - mostly sailing and some maintenance time too. The camaraderie was the same as with the flying guys. you learn to love the guys you live with. The owner upgraded his boat in 1982 from the Cal 39, I mostly sailed on, to a Farr 48. That essentially sized me out of the crew as the head sails went from about 40 to 50 lbs. each to more like the 100 lb. range. I did one Kauai race in the Farr 48 - that's a whole other story. Regarding the beard, I probably avoided Ice Cream Cones for almost 30 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell,

Really enjoyed your videos - I pretty much concentrated on the ones between Wisconsin and Wyoming - many camping experiences throughout including the Black Hills, Devils Tower, Badlands, Bighorns (including some off road 4 wheeling on the west slope).

I think what you have done is put together the ideal motivational packet for anyone thinking about getting a Kitfox and getting out there and using it.

So did you guys sleep on the ground at your stops?

Very Good!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Wish I could do a trip like that. Jim Chuk
    Jim,
    Honestly that's the hard part of watching and editing. We definitely had a "Chemistry". Larry sold his airplane, Ken flies a Glastar, others have moved away. One has "Gone West" and we have all added 16 years to already seasoned lives. I would definitely love to do it again, but....
    Lowell
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    So did you guys sleep on the ground at your stops?
    Larry,
    Honestly, I can't remember, but seriously doubt it as most of our group flying to Idaho back in the day was to places with hotel / motel accommodations within walking distance of our airplanes. With that in mind on one early summer flight to Idaho, we spend the night at Johnson Creek in 22 degree overnight temps and me with only T-shirts and shorts - learned something from that one. The thing that struck me during editing was how few stops were the same on the flight there and back. In order, the overnight stops were: Afton, Wall, Reedsburg, and Oshkosh. Then, Mitchell, Evanston and home. The other stops were for fuel and rest(room). It was sort of pedal to the metal on the way back.
    Lowell
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel