Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Model IV-1200 / Model IV-1050 How do you Know ?

Default Re: Model IV-1200 / Model IV-1050 How do you Know ?

My first Model IV-1200 was ordered in late 2002 from Denney, and delivered in March 2003 by Skystar. The numbering system changed with the change of ownership. My serial number was CCU-008. This refered to the third month of the third year of the decade and I think the 008 was the eighth kit delivered. My take on your number would put it as a Model IV-1200 produced in October of 1993 and the 104th kit produced. The U designates it as a long wing IV vs. the Speedster which had a S in the third letter location.

The Classic designation came after a short period when the IV was discontinued and then reintroduced with the Classic IV name. Chase is spot on regarding the serial numbers during the Denney years, and would designate the 1050 from the 1200 during that time. The numbering system then varied according to who owned the company and all numbers after the break Chase refers to would be the 1200 as well as any with the odd assortment of numbers that follow, as the 1050 was produced for only a short time ending in 1992. My present project was delivered in 1992 and holds the serial number 1746.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    So what kit would ser # JCU-104 be? Classic 4 or 4-1050
    It would be a Model IV-1200.. Long Wing....

Classic IV's begin with C4xxxxxxx

What is the difference from the Model IV-1200 to the Classic IV ?
    SkyStar re-named the Model IV-1200 to the Classic IV... Both are 1200 max gross weight aircraft.

The Lite² was introduced and was essentially a Classic IV without some of the options (but the options were available and most often chosen) The first couple of Lite² were tail draggers only then the conversion became available. After that the Lite² and the Classic IV's had the convertability from tail to tri.

The most common place for the serial number is as shown in the pic... front or back side.... other areas were the seat belt tabs.. either the center or sides. Not sure why the different areas other than different production managers...
    It can be difficult to read if not almost impossible if the powder coating was heavy in that area and the stamp wasn't very deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdmcbean; 06-16-2010 at 07:25 PM.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thank you for the info. This is the Ser # to my new Kitfox 4 classic project. I will post pics soon. I am a newbie so I am sure I will have a lot of questions and any help is appreciated.

Yours should be a Model IV-1200 delivered in October 1993. The 1050 model was superceded by the IV-1200 in 1992. Chases number sequence is for the Denney produced Model IV-1050s and 1200s. All other number combinations are specific to the owners at the time of delivery and all later IVs are 1200s, with the "Classic IV" being introduced after a short period where the "IV-1200" had been discontinued.

I know this is an old thread but I figure better to ask here than to post a new question about the same thing. My data plate seems to be contradictory to what is posted here. My plane was built by Skystar according to the plate. The serial number is C94070044 which i decifer as a Classic IV built as the 44th fuse in July 1994. The data plate also lists this as a Classic IV mfg in 06-10-97.
    The plane has the taller 53 inch rudder so it all points to a 1200lb gross airplane. However the motor was listed as a 503 and the Gross on the plate is 1050. So the question is what gives. Do I call her the bride of Frakenstien. There are a few things that just don't add up. I wonder if the Gross was registered based on the lifting capability of the 503 and is this a 1200 plane or is it a 1050. Thoughts please.

If my memory serves, the gross wt. restriction was because of the relatively lower HP of the 503.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Norm, I believe what you may have there is a Kitfox "Lite Squared". This was the ultralight trainer version of the Kitfox offered for a while.

I believe it is just a light built (ultralight fabric, minimal panel, etc) version of the IV-1200 with the 503 installed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Smile Re: Model IV-1200 / Model IV-1050 How do you Know ?

A Classic 4 with a 503 Rotax engine is limited to 1050 maximum gross weight due to the low power. It is not an air frame limitation. The good news is it makes you learn how to fly, not just push in the throttle and hang on.

With a Rotax 582 or 912 the maximum gross weight is 1200.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Norm, I believe what you may have there is a Kitfox "Lite Squared". This was the ultralight trainer version of the Kitfox offered for a while.

I believe it is just a light built (ultralight fabric, minimal panel, etc) version of the IV-1200 with the 503 installed.
    Thanks for your reply Av8r3400. I thought about that as the paint was missing the PolySpray step. Thus part of the reason for the rebuild, but the Data plate from the factory is labeled Classic IV I was kind of thinking what Lowell suggests that the Gross was based on the lifting weight of the 503. Because it was built in 97 it should be a 1200 gross especially with the tall tail. The lite squared was released about 2000. The other wildcard in the works is that it is registered as an Advanced Ultralight in Canada. As such it could have been registered at 1232 gross or at least 1200. Just not sure what I got.
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    A Classic 4 with a 503 Rotax engine is limited to 1050 maximum gross weight due to the low power. The good news is it makes you learn how to fly, not just push in the throttle and hang on.

With a Rotax 582 or 912 the maximum gross weight is 1200.
    Thanks TJ That makes sense. I got the plane with a 582, and I am changing to a 912 UL. Unfortunately I don't think I can change the registration without a bunch of paper work but I will feel safer it I get a bit heavy.
    Thanks again.
    Norm