Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MGL Explorer Lite

Default Re: MGL Explorer Lite

got a pic last night of it all just about wrapped up. Few more loose ends to tie up then take it out flying today if weather cooperates. I have some 31"s inbound as well so I'd like to get a little time on the tail with the new panel before swapping out for those. Still no word on Navworx system as of yet.

Tim- The MGL system uses a RDAC CAN BUS based device that mounts firewall side where all the senders hook into. Luckily no running of all those wires and cables into the cabin is necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

agreed but I should have been more clear emphasizing that the leads on the hot side should be thermocouple wire. That's what I learned on my first plane from Dynon. I placed my RDAC behind the dash so I ran tcouple leads all teh way on the Dynon last time and I'll do the same this time to avoid a "cold joint" as they call it. A cold joint will skew your temp readings. I think you are perfectly fine the way you have it.

Gotcha. Wires were extended using solderless connections and Type K extension wire to the RDAC. I'm waiting to install red cube until the hoses come in so I can get some flight time this weekend

Panel is done and test flew today. Few issues. When I first received the system I hooked it up on the bench and noticed that the screen/altimeter jumps around by a few feet. Airspeed would also randomly jump up to 34mph or so. I figured this was normal and would be worked out after I got it all installed and calibrated. Well doesn't seem to be the case. I can go into the MX menus and reset the ASI and AOA and it will stay at zero for about 3 minuted then jump up to somewhere between 34 and 76 or so mph. Tried a factory reset with no effect.

The fittings on the back for Pitot/static seem weak so I was extremely careful not to bump them during install. I think since it has happened since it came out of the box it's either a software or hardware thing. To add to it, I haven't been able to reach MGL in california for the past 2 days. Sucks. At least I added backup insturments so I can still fly.

Still trying to get the radio settings ironed out as well with the new V6 radio. Will post back up when I get some resolution on the issue

grounding issue?

just a wild guess

Try the MGL Forum at: www.mglavionicsusers.org

Ralph

Not a grounding issue and getting good voltage.

Ralph- Already posted it up there. That place seems dead though and I never get much in the way of info or replies. I can still fly so guess it'll have to wait until Monday

Try posting your problem on the support link at MGL US website. I recently had a question about RPM input for the E-1 and received a reply from Matt within a few days.
    Ralph

Issue turned out to be the short length of tubing that they send to connect the Pitot/static to the aircraft's system. They are sooo soft and collapse very easily.

Now to get the interior finished so the V6 radio can deal with the noise in the cockpit.

Navworx arrived...finally. Lo and behold, their website is wrong (surprise!) and the dimensions are incorrect. I redid my panel and will have to figure out a different mount since it will not fit into the area I planned for it. Working on integrating it with the MGL. The setup for the Navworx seems easy enough, just requires a laptop and their software. I will be leaving the country soon, so working on getting it all going before I head out.