Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: model 4 rudder

Default model 4 rudder

I'm just getting started to familiarise my self with the model 4 project I bought. I notice on some of the photos I have looked at the fin &rudder have ribs that have a fiberglass edge where their hinged On other models.. The kit I have looks like you just wrap the fabric around the fin & rudder frame, is this the case?

Default Re: model 4 rudder

Some kits were purchased with a speedster option which included airfoil ribs for the vertical, horizontal, rudder and elevator. Many are built without the option. Advantages are slightly more control authority and a tiny reduction in drag. Disadvantage is an increase in weight.

If you are building without the rib kit you are correct... The fabric just wraps around the frame.

If you want the speedster kit give Kitfox s call.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Tx

Default Re: model 4 rudder

With a IV-1200 and later models you will have rod end bearings for rudder hinges. If you do not fabricate some type of faring, you will wind up with a sizable gap (several inches) between the fin and rudder. This gap will dramatically reduce rudder effectiveness.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos