Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential Builder -- How Bad Is It?

Default Re: Potential Builder -- How Bad Is It?

Jeff -- I tried to send you a PM but it appears it didn't go. Trying again. I'd really like to see your airplane.

Stuart
    Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    StuBob
    I'm in Carmel. Picked up a KF 5 project back in August. It was pretty far along - "almost ready to cover". Been teaching myself how to cover with the tail feathers. It is not difficult at all.
    When it gets warm(er) I'll be rigging the wings. Fuse and wings are at Metro. If you want to take a look let me know.
    Regards
    Jeff

I agree with Ross. I built a Series 5 as a first time builder about 10 years ago. Since then I built a RV-9A & RV-10 with my brother (he paid for them, but I get to fly them!) and helped on several other aircraft projects. In my opinion the Kitfox manual and parts packaging is the best I have seen. I found the construction straight forward and when I needed help, it was easy to find., whether the factory, forums, or EAA members. My favorite part of construction was the covering process. You see the most progress toward a finished aircraft. Least favorite was paint with Aerothane. Told my brother I had painted my first & last airplane. Therefore we hired out the painting on the RV's. My paint booth for the Kitfox was one of the "carport frames" with canvas top. 10 x 20. I put two layers of 6 mil poly over the frame. Whole thing costs maybe $150. I did borrow a new 5 ton AC so I could paint in the summer Georgia heat and humidity. That sucker would pull it down in the booth from 95 deg high humidity to 65 deg low humidity in about ten minutes.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Well said Ross!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Great fun, great support.