Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Help

Default Re: Trailer Help

Just a thought but have you considered leaving the plane where it's at and pulling the engine? Why risk transport damage when you can pull the engine and throw it in the trunk?

I have a model IV 1050 with Rotax 912 that I trailer ALL over the US each year in an enclosed trailer. with around 95,000 miles of towing this plane and no plane damage so far. However there are lots of reports of trailering damage. Below are some keys to avoid damage. Several are mentioned in previous posts.

First DO NOT RUSH THE JOB. Think it thru. Don't create additional problems due to "Get Home Itis".

To avoid bending the fuselage just ahead of the tail, which is a serious no no: 1 siphon fuel out of wings, to get the extra weight out of the wing, 2. make sure the brace from the tab at the bottom front of the vertical stabilizer up to the tab at the under side of the wing at the upper end of the wing strut is in place and secure. This transfers some of the wing bounce forces directly to the tubular steal tail framework instead of all the bouncing wing force going thru the thin area of the aft fuselage in front of the tail. You may have to think this thru but there have been several reports of the fuselage kinking ahead of the tail because an awful lot of the weight of the folded wings goes thru that area without those two braces. The braces are available from Kitfox. 3. Also avoid stiff trailer suspensions. A 10,000 pound or greater gross capacity trailer provides a harsh ride. The harsh bouncing can contribute to stress and kinking in that thin area of the fuselage ahead of the tail.

4. Consider using ratchet straps from the front float attach points down to tie down rings bolted thru the trailer floor. Tighten these strap so the tires and gear are compressed and the plane does not bounce around a lot. My tires look nearly flat when I tow. The heavy front of the plane will still bounce some but not excessively. 5. Consider cramming some foam rubber between the wings and side walls of the trailer to absorb wing bouncing against trailer walls. 4. and 5. apply to planes inside an enclosed trailer.

6. If you can support the tail at the point where the tail wheel spring bolts to the fuselage. Tail wheel springs are not built to support all of the weight of the wings when they are folded and CG shifts way far aft AND the plane bounces down the road for a thousand miles.

7. Do not strap the plane to the trailer from any point on the wing. As the plane bounces on the gear and tires the wings would be subject to too much force. There are reports of Folks bending the wing or hinge point, where the wing folds at the top of the cabin. Do not use clear plastic pallet wrap around the wing and down under the trailer to hold the plane in position and keep water out of the plane on a flat bed trailer for the same reason.

8. Strap so that a strong application of brakes by the tow vehicle does not allow the plane to slam forward against any hard structure. This requires a bit of thinking the strapping thru and not rushing the job.

The good news is I 10 across the southern US and I 75 down to near Sebring (Lockwood)) are pretty smooth, flat roads if you avoid going thru Houston on I 10 which is a PIA. Take beltway around Houston.

I was at Lockwood with my Kitfox in its trailer when you called them and they advised towing your plane rather than trying to run the engine and risk metal going thru the engine. I am tied up between now and the end of the US Sport Aviation Expo at Sebring but after the show might be able to help. I do forums at that Expo, OSH, Sun N Fun, Copper State etc. on touring the US by motor home with your folding wing LSA in a trailer as an EAA member, nothing to sell, just sharing the fun of flying.

Hope you already have the problem solved.

Feel free to call or text me 443-480-1023[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]443-480-1023 Bob Jones bjones@dmv.comCall
    Send SMS
    Call from mobile
    Add to Skype
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Paul, If you are stuck and still need a trailer, give me a call and maybe I can help you out.

I use my enclosed trailer as my hanger in Zephyrhills, FL and could rent a shade hanger while you are moving your plane to Sebring.

If I can help call me at (989)3874662

Louie