Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Model IV-1200 / Model IV-1050 How do you Know ?

Default Re: Model IV-1200 / Model IV-1050 How do you Know ?

The serial number stamped on the fuselage gives you the date the fuselage was built at the factory. The data plate is stamped and installed by the builder.

Example is my kitfox. Serial #C9408 0047 ie the 47th Classic 4 fuselage produced at the factory in 1994 and completed in August. On My data plate I stamped a manufacture date of May 2000, the date I completed building it and a maximum gross weight of 1050 due to my 503 Rotax engine.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

In the US we must notify our FSDO of major alterations and they give us new operating limitations and a short...usually...5 hour test flight period. If I were to install a 582 or 912 I would include the increase in maximum gross weight to 1200 in a letter to the FSDO.

You might check to see if you can/must do the same in Canada.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Norm
    My model IV 1200 serial # is C96040154. Its stamped on the airframe in the tail section. And on the data plate which is still in the original parts bag from sky star Kitfox . labeled , Data plate fuselage kit Classic 4.

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    In the US we must notify our FSDO of major alterations and they give us new operating limitations and a short...usually...5 hour test flight period. If I were to install a 582 or 912 I would include the increase in maximum gross weight to 1200 in a letter to the FSDO.

You might check to see if you can/must do the same in Canada.
    Little different in Canada. No FSDO just TC but I may check and see what I can do. Interesting that my Fox was welded the month before yours. As I progress with the build I will post pictures for all to see.

Ha, Norm I just noticed your kitfox and mine are sisters. C94070044 and C94080047.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by Northof49 View Post
    Norm
    My model IV 1200 serial # is C96040154. Its stamped on the airframe in the tail section. And on the data plate which is still in the original parts bag from sky star Kitfox . labeled , Data plate fuselage kit Classic 4.
    What stage is your fox at. We should get together and compare notes.

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    Ha, Norm I just noticed your kitfox and mine are sisters. C94070044 and C94080047.
    Maybe if things work out I can do the factory Flyin and reunite the sisters.
    Norm

Is the bottom line, if you use the 582 engine or the 912,on your Model 4, your GW increases?

Quote Originally Posted by grdev View Post
    Is the bottom line, if you use the 582 engine or the 912,on your Model 4, your GW increases?
    On a Model IV 1200 or Classic IV, yes. On a Lite squared, yes. On a Model IV 1050, no. On an XL, unknown. Some XLs have a Model III fuselage, according to some owners.

Explained better here http://kitfoxaircraft.com/Model%20IV.htm
    Last edited by t j; 01-14-2016 at 06:30 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I think one thing that confuses people about the maximum gross weight of the model 4s is this statement in the history link in my last post.
    One of the most successful kits on the market today, the Classic 4 kit has been sold continuously since late 1991.
    Actually when the Serries V was introduced in 1994 the Model IV 1200 was discontinued. The Serries V was a new bigger design. The Model IV had been very successful and the factory was still getting requests for them.

So, they reintroduced the Model IV 1200 as the Classic IV. At least that is what the old Skystar salesman told me when I visited the factory in May of 1994 to see if I could get a demo flight in an XL.

I had read an article in a magazine about the new Kitfox XL and wanted one. When I got to the factory they told me the XL was no longer being produced and they had shipped their demo XL to France.

That is when the salesman told me the XL was the same as the Classic IV and they would sell me a complete Classic IV kit with a 503 for the same price as the XL.

So there you have it. Confused yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder