Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If 4 grove gear

Default Re: If 4 grove gear

As Floog says, for the SS7 brake ports face forward (at the top, not talking about the bottom). Another way to tell front from back on the Grove gear is the front edge of the gear is straight and parallel all the way around the "U". The back edge of the gear legs taper slightly from top to bottom. From a side view the taper in the back looks better.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    The grove fitting kit has them at the rear

http://www.groveaircraft.com/images/...stallation.pdf

The airframe I've got is called a Skyfox, basically a Kitfox4 copy, but without the landing gear brackets to fit grove gear to , I'm thinking it may be easier to mount the gear with some bolts vertically through the underside of the fuse,
    I would not suggest using the gear without the engineered brackets. They are crucial to the flex, absorption, and transfer of energy through the gear and to the fuse by allowing the gear to "float" and reflex through them. A lot of the stress is transferred to the middle portion of the gear. The brackets also rotate along the bolts that tie them to the fuse as the gear flexes. Restricting the movement or the flex of the gear by any means other than the two designed points of restraint will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    I would not suggest using the gear without the engineered brackets. They are crucial to the flex, absorption, and transfer of energy through the gear and to the fuse by allowing the gear to "float" and reflex through them. A lot of the stress is transferred to the middle portion of the gear. The brackets also rotate along the bolts that tie them to the fuse as the gear flexes. Restricting the movement or the flex of the gear by any means other than the two designed points of restraint will not work.
    I guess I didn't post that very clearly ,I'm using the grove mounting plates but may have to mount the gear more like a 7 than a converted four , it may work out easy to weld on mounts like the KF4 , that's the reason for the thread ,to see which way works best , and to be clear mechanical engineering and modifying vehicles is my business( meaning I do it for a job ) , aircraft are a little different ,but not much ,mostly in the lightness of their construction.
    Matty
    Last edited by metalman; 12-19-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Are you retrofitting this to a finished plane or something you are building?

If you are building, I would highly suggest reenforcing the side truss, above the gear mount, to strengthen it. Below is how I did it in my project plane.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Are you retrofitting this to a finished plane or something you are building?

If you are building, I would highly suggest reenforcing the side truss, above the gear mount, to strengthen it. Below is how I did it in my project plane.

Nice, yeh it's a project/new build, I was looking at something similar if I mount the gear the same as the KF7,