Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rib #1 stitching and Rib stitching tape

Default Rib #1 stitching and Rib stitching tape

I do not know whether or not to stitch Rib #1?

It is also unclear to me in the previous posts whether you put tape down before you rib stitch.

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Rib #1 stitching and Rib stitching tape

Hi Tom,

I did not stitch rib #1 as the fabric wraps around the end and is glued in place well enough to hold without stitching. Likewise, Rib # 10 does not need stitching for the same reasons. For ribs 1 & 10 I also used the iron to form the fabric over the end and into the recess.

For the ribs which do get stitching, the self stick reinforcing tape goes down first to protect the main part of the fabric from tearing by the thread. The finish tapes go on top after stitching.

This was with using the polyfiber system.

Sincerely,

Dave S.
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

I second that Dave. I'm right now in the process of recovering a set of Avid Flyer wings. Just finished ribstitching one wing on Tuesday. Worked on prepping for finish tapes yesterday and didn't get anything done on it today. Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

I should be finishing up my wing covering this weekend (just have the leading edge tapes to put on! I also did not rib stitch the #1 and #10 ribs. I have the Laker Leading Edges and I ran the reinforcement tape all the way up to the front spar on all ribs 2-9. I installed fake rib stitching for the areas over the fuel tank and it turned out really nice. It gives the wings a nice uniform look.

Fuselage covering next!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!