Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: builders name & registration

Default builders name & registration

When I decided to buy my series 6 kit back in 1999 my wife said "if you can get it financed go for it", I did and put her and I as builders and owners on the FAA paperwork. She never helped with any of the build and divorced me 2 years ago. I need to take her name off of anything associated with the plane for liability reasons. It doesn't have an airworthiness certificate yet. Before I call the FAA does anyone know if this can even be done?
    Thanks
    Steve

Default Re: builders name & registration

You are best off going directly to the FAA on this one....Your MIDO office in particular (Manufacturing Inspection District Office)

There are alot of "depends" involved and the answer will be with the agency. Owners can be changed, manufacturers might be different depending on registration status at the time.

To look up the correct office - use this link

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/mido/

Sincerely,

Dave S

I certainly second what Dave said but unless I am missing something, if there is no AW than there is no builder defined yet.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Interesting question. When I bought my KF3, I saw that the original owner/builder listed in the FAA record was in fact two individuals. One passed and the survivor simply had the estate representative sign a AC Form 8050 for $1 consideration and a cover letter to FAA in OK requesting re-registration to the new sole owner. Pretty painless but that was many years ago and there might be more red tape involved now. Typically, isn't there a property disposition agreement that addresses this at the time of divorce? Perhaps you have a court produced document proving ownership that can be submitted without your ex's participation. If not, hopefully your separation was not contentious enough to have your ex demanding you buy her out for half of the completed market value. Good luck!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks for the replies. I am going to follow Dave's advice and go to the FAA with this. Dorsal there is a builder and owner listed with my plane because I have an N number assigned to the plane. I would like to change that also because it was our wedding date. Yes, we were in love 19 years ago. The divorce papers do exclude her from anything that was in my possession at the time she moved out. I even got the house and my dog, unfortunately, my faithful dog died last August.

So sorry to hear, will be interested as to what the FAA says. I suspect that though a builder(s) is listed it can be changed as long as no AW has been issued. Best of luck, hope you find a new co-pilot
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive