Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Pilot Users

Default Re: Garmin Pilot Users

Chuck,
    I haven't used mine in flight too much, but this prompted me to learn a little more about it and actually use it as the tool it is, the clock items in the lower left will show a time laps of radar, IR SAT and VIS SAT, (satellite), on the flight plan route I do see you can clear the route with the menu button top right, I do not have a plus/minus in the lower left.
    I just down loaded an actual manual and going to read up

When I got the Nexus 7 tablet, I tried to figure how I wanted to mount it. I'm a half owner in a nice old Aeronca Chief, and this is what I did with the tablet. I took a gas welding rod, ran it through the back of the tablet case and bent it over to act as a stand. There is some fuzzy material on the glare shield that the hook half of Velcro grabs onto and so I put a couple of strips of the hook Velcro on the tablet case. It stays right where you put it then. I can flip the tablet up to view it, or with one flick of a finger flip the welding rod stand back and the tablet will lay down completely out of the way. Could probably do the same in a Kitfox or Avid by sticking someof the fuzzy Velcro on the glare shield. Anyway, it works just fine for me, and the price was right. Jim Chuk

PS The tablet is barely 5" high in the first picture so you can see over it in flight quite easily
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by avidflyer; 05-30-2014 at 08:31 AM.

That's pretty straight forward, I'll use the same for mine.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

I used Garmin Pilot on a nexus 7 last summer when I put 200 hours on my model 4 flying coast to coast. I put some Velcro on it and it mounts to my knee board. Easy to read there but the built in GPS did not work. I bought a small blue tooth GPS that is velcroed to the panel cover. I have some USB power ports tn the plane so the internal batteries in the GPS and tablet are not drained.

I really like the app, it had some issues at first but their customer service was very responsive and it works fine now. I really like the extensive airport info. I can check to see fuel prices, courtesy car, bunk room, internet, etc while planning and while in the air. Also, at the push of a 'button' you can download a full legal weather briefing tagged with you tail number and have access to it in the air. You can file also.

The nav features are similar to my ifly gps which I still use because it couples to my dynon EFIS and also logs my flights. It is a pain to enter the same flight plan into both. Now that the ifly software also works on my tablet I'm not sure if I will renew the Garmin. I'm waiting to see what sort of briefing and filing the ifly has at the time.

What ever you use, play with it as lot before you fly with it.

Henry