Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotec r3600 radial

Default Rotec r3600 radial

Does anyone have any thoughts on installing a rotec r3600 on a kitfox 7. Just my thoughts on installing rotec r3600. The r3600 is 150-160 hp and weighs 275 lbs. The titan 0-340 is advertised between. 259-296 lbs. Am I missing something or does it appear this will work?
    If there is something i am not thinking of feel free to share your thoughts or opinions.

Thanks
    Scott

Default Re: Rotec r3600 radial

Of course you can make anything work with enough time and money . My thoughts are buying an engine from a small manufacturer that may or may not be around in years to come when you may need parts, I know nothing is certain but my questions would be how many engines have been sold and are operating? Any problems from operators? How many do they manufacture a month?
    Just my .02 worth

my thought. How many Kit aircraft manufacturers are there? Kitfox remains in business. How many Radial engine manufacturers are there? One. So, there are so many aircraft kits that can use the Rotec that I wonder who might go out of business first, an airplane company or an engine company who serves many airplane company kits? I want that Rotec too. I just considered weight, cost of purchase and long term maintenance costs. Rotax won.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Talking with the Kitfox guys, the Titan was too heavy and made the plane less fun to fly than a Rotax.

The radial engine really makes no sense to me. It’s form over function and in a plane I will always choose function over form.

Set up your plane to fly well and worry about looks last.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Scott,
    If you want to hang a radial on a 7, go for it. If you want the "same thing as everyone else" has then hang a Rotax on it and wonder when your carbs will go out of sync or where you will be when the pricey ignition module(s) dump on you or why the hoses are so expensive, or how often the reduction drive needs inspected/overhauled.

Every airframe/engine combo has its quirks. Make it yours and enjoy it! Learn something new/different and let everyone know what you learned.

A guy in Florida put a Rotec on an RV-8 and it has some pretty respectable performance.
    Some say you can't/shouldn't put a Rotec on a Model IV, but some have done it, and it works.

Rotec has been around since 1999. I doubt they will fold tomorrow, but you never know, Skystar went through bankruptcy and its future was uncertain until John and Deb picked it up.

There are other radial companies in the market now, Verner being one from Europe.
    Remember, opinions are like @$$#oles, everyone has one!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    my thought. How many Kit aircraft manufacturers are there? Kitfox remains in business. How many Radial engine manufacturers are there? One. So, there are so many aircraft kits that can use the Rotec that I wonder who might go out of business first, an airplane company or an engine company who serves many airplane company kits? I want that Rotec too. I just considered weight, cost of purchase and long term maintenance costs. Rotax won.
    Eddie
    Don't forget the Verner radials.

http://www.vernermotor.com/

Try to arrange a ride with someone who has a radial in their Kitfox. I don't like looking over or around the round cowl blocking the view on a Kitfox, and the radial is bigger yet I believe. But to each his own. But the point is you wont know for sure till you get there how you are going to feel. If you build it and then find you don't really like it, it will be a bit late then and very costly to change your mind. JImChuk

I haven't heard of Verner. Thanks.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

FWIW .... It comes back to the same old question: what do I want to do with your airplane.... I chose a Lycoming over a Rotax and a Rotec for my own reasons. I want to do long distance flying - I live in a big country. I looked at the Rotec because it (a) looked really good on this style of airplane and (b) because it is Australian made (I can be parochial sometimes ..). But it lost out primarily on profile drag and therefore long distance performance. I looked at the Rotax because it was lighter and lower cost than what I eventually bought. But I couldn't reconcile my concern about having a gearbox between engine and propellor, a higher revving engine etc. Others won't have the same concerns and in fact, I think the additional GB is less of an issue that I originally thought. For the R3600, you'll get more power with a higher fuel flow and higher drag. Your flight endurance will be down which means shorter flight times. But if that fits with how you want to use it, fill-ya-boots. In the end, I personally think a Rotec installed in a Kitfox looks really really good. But for my mission, it didn't fit the bill. That's my thought for today ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

The Rotec really makes the Kitfox a neat-looking plane. I guess I'll reiterate what others have said: Do what makes the most sense for you. But I will also add that there are considerations beyond what you want in the finished product. Kitfox sells Firewall Forward for the r2800, but you'd be largely on your own for the r3600. For me, this is my first build, and I bet a lot of money against poor odds that I'll finish. So a major consideration for me is to stick to things that are tried-and-true and well-supported by Kitfox. The round-engined Kitfoxes are beautiful though, so I'm glad people are out there doing it.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS