Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

So Brian, from the list you posted on August 14, I'm guessing you're working 9 day weeks and 35 hour days. That list would take me a month .... blistering pace. Great progress.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Ha! That was an unusual week. My wife and kids were visiting some friends in Austin. I got 35 hours in on the plane.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Well, I got one number correct ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Progress update

I've been doing a bunch of smallish tasks, waiting for parts, and making progress where I can. The phase of the build I'm in feels like slow progress. Because engine and electrical are different from plane to plane, the firewall forward manual and final assembly section of the main manual are not as specific as the rest of the manual, so there's a lot to figure out for yourself.

Fuel lines run up between the seats. My plan is to fabricate a stainless steel thermally insulated box to contain the 914 fuel pumps and mount them on the engine side side of the passenger's footwell, just like the 912iS fuel pump assembly. I'm waiting on some fittings to plumb up the fuel pumps/check valves, but I have enough that I'm confident it's all going to fit, and will be a much better arrangement than putting the pumps behind or under the seats. I have never done real sheet metal work, so we'll see how well my box turns out. I will probably be glad that it's underneath the cowl where nobody will see it.

In installed the heater core and fans per the manual. Then I went to fit the electronics trays, and they don't fit with the heater. I started measuring so that I could trim the trays to fit, and then realized it would be much smarter to remove the heater, install the trays, and then just install the heater to the trays. Trying to accurately drill the holes for the adel clamps that mount the heater was a pain, and it ended up a little off center. Not a big deal really, but in re-doing it to mount to the trays, it's now centered nicely. Also, I mounted the trays with adel clamps instead of the VHB tape specified by the manual. It's coming together well.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Brian,
    On making the stainless box. A suggestion, first make the box out of an old file folder or other semi-stiff paper, when happy with the results, use that as a template for cutting and bending the metal for the box. Good luck with the stainless, it can be difficult to work with.

Ralph

I have several packages a day arriving now with fittings and parts that I need. A lot of my shop time right now is spent figuring things out, making diagrams, and planning instead of actual building. It feels a little less fun at the moment, but I'm still squeaking a little progress out each day.

I made some additional mounting trays, and started installing some components. The TCU and servo motor are on the right, the voltage reglator, EMS, and noise suppression capacitor are on the left. I have lovely cardboard cutout of the remote radio, transponder, ads-b receiver, and Advance Control Module holding their places in there.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Also, some questions for you guys:

I'd be interested in ideas for locating the manifold pressure sensor. I'd like to keep in on the engine side so that I only have to pass electrical through the firewall, but it has strange geometry to find a good mount. This is the Dynon unit, but I think other systems use a similar sensor. I thought about zip tying it to a spark plug wire bundle, but it feels kind of janky there.

Also, for those with a 914 engine, what did you do with the ambient pressure sensor from the TCU? Route it to the static system? Just leave it open? Under the cowl? Behind the panel?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Mine Was open behind the panel and I ended up teeing intonitbon a whim when I had some extra fittings
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

My MP sensor is mounted up high on the firewall on the engine side. Been doing good there for 700 hours.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I zip tied mine to one of the upper engine mount tubes.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive