Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier IV Build

Default Carrier IV Build

Greetings,

I posted this on the Facebook group last night but figured I'd share it here incase anyone has an interest in seeing it. My wife and I started a blog to log the build of our Model IV. Our decision to do it outside of the forum environment was due to that fact that of the many forums I have used over the years lose embedded images and some threads become archived in a difficult to read format as site updates occur. We wanted a clean, consolidated source that someday we could have professionally printed and bound in a book, both for ourselves and for the aircraft if/when we have to sell it. We will keep it updated as often as possible with many photos and thorough documentation. I'd like to use this thread as well to throw out questions that we may have as they come. It's very inspiring to see how helpful everyone is in the Kitfox/homebuilt community and we've learned a ton just lurking on other's build threads. Feel free to comment or subscribe and recommendations are always welcome. Thanks!

David
    https://carrieraero.wordpress.com/
    -David
    Building Classic IV

Default Re: Carrier IV Build

David,
    Welcome to the forum. I have built and flown 2 Model IVs and confess that this old guy thinks it is the best of the bunch. Looking at your build site, the thing that impresses me most is your youthful appearance. Most of my Kitfox friends are graybeards or worse. Excited for a new generation of enthusiasts.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Haha, thanks, Lowell! You all are the wisdom that's making our job as "youthful" builder's easier, and for that, I thank you! It's great to hear that you loved the IV so much that you built another, I'm sure we'll have questions coming your way soon. Thanks again!
    -David
    Building Classic IV

be prepared to get "serious" with your build. Lowell has probably got more skills than most of us and to follow him would be quiet the accomplishment.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

David, Just looked at your website, and see you've moved to Pensacola Fl. I will be in Gulf Shores for a while this winter. Maybe I can meet up with you sometime and have a look at the progress. I've been rebuilding a Kitfox 4 over the last couple of years along with other planes. I do know of one other guy in Pensacola who also has a Kitfox 4. He flys out of Feguson apt. Take care, JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    David,
    Welcome to the forum. I have built and flown 2 Model IVs and confess that this old guy thinks it is the best of the bunch. Looking at your build site, the thing that impresses me most is your youthful appearance. Most of my Kitfox friends are graybeards or worse. Excited for a new generation of enthusiasts.
    Hello Lowell, I've already been talking with David about his IV and I am picking up a partially built model IV this weekend. Your only a few hours from me. I'm south of Fresno. Some friends were just talking about a strip in the Placerville area. Do you ever come down this way?

Enjoy the build guys and you will enjoy many hours of flying as the IV is a great airplane. So many decisions along the way and this forum is a great help. Enjoy.

Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg79 View Post
    Hello Lowell, I've already been talking with David about his IV and I am picking up a partially built model IV this weekend. Your only a few hours from me. I'm south of Fresno. Some friends were just talking about a strip in the Placerville area. Do you ever come down this way?
    I have not been flying much lately. Mostly due to some minor health issues. It is good to hear of the two new IVs being built. We have three IVs in our airpark where we live O61. Thinking of near Fresno, the second one I finished was purchased as a partially built kit out of Fresno. It would be great to get together.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

This seems to be an topic on the Facebook group with a lot of disagreement.
    To lay out the scene, I am installing the brake cylinders to the brake pedals at this time but having issues with the recommended hardware from the manual.

As an example, the manual calls for using an AN3-6 bolt, washer (AN960-10L) and castle nut in conjunction with the aluminum clevis for the brake cylinder rod attachment to the pedal.
    Following the assembly configuration required in the manual, I am unable to insert a cotter pin unless I tighten it so much that it begins to deform the aluminum clevis.

If I remove the washer I have no issue inserting the pin.

I don't want to file down the clevis and I also don't want to file down the castle nut as it removes the protective coating. Best option is probably upgrade to an AN3-7 and go forward....but the topic as a whole has me curious...

Given these are used for shear forces, is the washer really necessary in this application? The same logic could be applied to installing the bottom of the cylinder to the rudder pedal brackets.
    -David
    Building Classic IV

Quote Originally Posted by fathom View Post
    Given these are used for shear forces, is the washer really necessary in this application? The same logic could be applied to installing the bottom of the cylinder to the rudder pedal brackets.
    Remembering the inspector from the FSDO who was a former helicopter mechanic and had an eye for cotter pins, I dont think he would notice the missing washer. I think I would simply omit the washer. As you say, torquing the bolt is a non issue given that it is in shear only. I suspect you could get away with a clevis pin, washer and cotter pin.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel