Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 3 letter identifier

Default 3 letter identifier

I occasionally fly into class bravo when i fly to work. When leaving i contact departure and they have asked me for my 3 letter identifier. I said FOX. They always take a long time getting back to me. I havent asked if my answer satisfied them but they let me go. Anyone else have experience with this? Are they just perplexed by an experimental in their airspace?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: 3 letter identifier

Ken - I'll have to admit my ignorance- never heard of a 3 letter identifier. If someone knows what they are, please let the unwashed in on the secret.

FAA defines this as an "Aircraft Type Designator" and it is listed in order 7360.1 - current version c

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...esignators.pdf

Here you go - see bottom of page 308 of 619 in this PDF by code FOX I believe this is the most recent issue of this order.

Page 82 0f 619 lists by manufacturer. Note that the manufacturer listing also includes a few other aircraft as "FOX".

Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I have used "FOX" several times with ATC and they always hesitate, but always accept it. I believe when you submit a flight plan FOX goes in one of the required fields.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Excellent. Thanks for that information.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    I occasionally fly into class bravo when i fly to work. When leaving i contact departure and they have asked me for my 3 letter identifier. I said FOX. They always take a long time getting back to me. I havent asked if my answer satisfied them but they let me go. Anyone else have experience with this? Are they just perplexed by an experimental in their airspace?
    I fly in and around Class Bravo airspace too. I have had the same experience as I too use the Code Fox. I suspect the delay in getting back to you might be the time needed to enter your data into their computer system. I have noticed that when they ask for the three digit aircraft identifier, those flights tend to show up on the public flight tracking websites like flightaware.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

When I first started flying near our class C airspace I got asked for that type identifier often. Now years later I almost never get asked for it. I suspect they have it stored with my N number, or maybe its because I have ADS-B out.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Dave, most interesting.

It's good to know of course and I'll now be able to answer them if the need ever arises but now for a (legalistic kind of) technical question - I wonder how they would expect the pilot to know the answer?