Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dampener Engine Mount Torque ????

Default Dampener Engine Mount Torque ????

Kitfox Classic 4 mating to a Rotax 912 ULS.
    Anyone know the torque on the Dampener Assy Castle nuts???
    All I can find in the manual is in Chapter 8, page 14, par 11 "It is not advisable to put a cotter pin through the nut yet, as that will be done only upon final assembly."
    Am I missing pages?
    Thank You
    Tom T

Default Re: Dampener Engine Mount Torque ????

On the SS7, the instructions say to put a spacer insert around the bolt inside the rubber damper. I believe this is to limit the amount of squish you can apply to the rubber mounts; so as I remember it you tightened up the bolt until it bottomed on the spacer and then put in the cotter pin. No actual torque spec. Maybe someone else knows more accurately than my memory. I also seem to remember this spacer was added later as an improvement, maybe after the model 4, but it sure seems like a good idea to me. Torque may not be the best way to get proper compression on an engine mount.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Dampener Engine Mount Torque ????

Like Jim said, the spacer limits the degree of compression. Commonly, most Lord-style mounts are designed this way. The bolt/nut assembly should then generally be torqued to standard values for that particular bolt/nut combo. If there is no spacer in the design, then special tightening instructions usually apply. If you don't have spacers, make sure that the design doesn't call for them. If designed for spacers, they are a critical part of the assembly.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime