Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine choice

Default engine choice

ok, so i have run the gammut of research on all of the engines and have decided that the 912uls with an efi package is probably the way to go. without going into all the ins and outs with compare/contrast, let's just say that reliability and proven performance has led me to this point. quite simply, the 912 can take a substantial beating in many types of airframes. for the kitfox, i believe it is head and shoulders above the likes of viking/honda (NOT an aircraft engine!) for STOL aircraft. sure, other engines will work a treat, such as the O-200 and 235, but rotax has the proven history / performance for higher revving engines to do what STOLs are supposed to do, namely, get off the ground quickly. i just want to find a good used 200 to 300 hour 912uls to add an efi package to.

Default Re: engine choice

Wise decision! You won't be sorry. I am running a 912ULS with Edge EFI. It runs like a modern EFI engine. Good luck on your engine search. May check with Jason at Badasspowersports. He is the N American rep for edgeperformance.no

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Don’t forget about the Rotec..... looks great, sounds great, and a pleasure to fly behind.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I wouldn't get too hung up on engine hours.Even a well cared for 1000 hr engine at the right price is only half life and unless you are doing 200 +hrs that's going to be a good run for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcqueen9731 View Post
    ok, so i have run the gammut of research on all of the engines and have decided that the 912uls with an efi package is probably the way to go. without going into all the ins and outs with compare/contrast, let's just say that reliability and proven performance has led me to this point. quite simply, the 912 can take a substantial beating in many types of airframes. for the kitfox, i believe it is head and shoulders above the likes of viking/honda (NOT an aircraft engine!) for STOL aircraft. sure, other engines will work a treat, such as the O-200 and 235, but rotax has the proven history / performance for higher revving engines to do what STOLs are supposed to do, namely, get off the ground quickly. i just want to find a good used 200 to 300 hour 912uls to add an efi package to.
    From what I have read, you are making a good choice for this AC, with the 912 platform being the past of least resistance. That Viking engine seems really attractive though. 130hp compared to 100. 130mph cruise compared to 105, 600lbs of thrust compared to 420.

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    From what I have read, you are making a good choice for this AC, with the 912 platform being the past of least resistance. That Viking engine seems really attractive though. 130hp compared to 100. 130mph cruise compared to 105, 600lbs of thrust compared to 420.
    Scott Noble cruises much faster than 105. I think he’s in the 125 range. I’m sure he will chime in. That’s with tundra tires.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

That 125 mph would be at about 90% power at sea level on a standard day.

Quote Originally Posted by Flienlow View Post
    The HP of the viking seems attractive, but at the end of the day, it's still an auto engine. I know that there are a lot of guys flying car engines, but I ain't ever gonna be one of them. That, and I have read some pretty atrocious things about the way viking deals with customers. Heck, I even watched Eggenballer pitch his wares on a YT video. Not impressed.

Your response is not without Merit for sure. I look at this a bit different though
    (which is not backed by a shred of personal experience or expertise.)

1. The Japanese are a very cleaver lot at building small engines. -Remember its Honda Motor Co. for a reason.
    2. Both enginesrequire a PSRU.
    3. Both are water cooled.

Would I buy a viking? -jury is still out for me, but i do feel its worthy of consideration.

How does one find a 200 ish hour Rotax? I have been on Barnstormers, Trade a Plane... and can rarely find a Rotax at all. I saw a 914 and a couple 912’s last time I looked. The 914 was tempting (actually not really. I don’t have the money for any engine right now), but at $9400 is something lurking that I don’t know about or is that the going price.

I am trying to watch to see what comes up and what the price is, so when I am ready to buy I have an idea of what a reasonable price might be.