Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift strut fairings

Default Lift strut fairings

I received part # 62914.000, Cuff Lift Strut FS, (2024 T3 material) as a part of the Speed Fairing Kit. I do not expect to actually use them as I think SuperFil is the better path, but I am curious that I find no instructions for the strut fairings. Am I overlooking something?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Lift strut fairings

Their are instructions in the suplimental instructions where your door installation, fuel gauge installation instructions are. You can completely ignore them. It’s pretty intuitive what you need to do especially if you are going to use superfil.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh, I did not think to look in that material (it has been so blooming long since I received my kit). Your right, really not much value added.
    The one bit that would have been handy would have been the dimension for the start of the aft taper. I think others have posted here something on the order of 38-40" from the pivot bolt center.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I just measured mine from the centre of the spar attach hole. 35” with no issues. Also page 35 build shows how I went about it.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Everyone, This may be a very dumb question but,,, I saw a Kitfox5 up close several weeks ago that was in the final stages of completion. I believe the kit was sold in the early 1990's. The wing strut fairings caught my attention - plastic overlay to the round strut bar.

Is this the same design approach used on new Kitfox aircraft (SS7 or STI) or are the struts now similar to other aircraft? Thanks, Champ

The fairings are the plastic ones you're speaking of. You can now buy lift struts that are streamlined 4130 steel, but they are a $3500 adder when you order vs $295 for the plastic fairings. I can't see a major advantage of the streamlined steel ones except saving the effort of installing the plastic ones. The weight difference is probably negligible, and cosmetically, the steel ones probably look nicer.

Thanks - Very helpful!

I also have the speed fairings and no manual for them. I have an inventory list and that shows 10lbs of foam which I also have. What is the foam used for?

Hi Greg,

If you have an installation manual, there are instructions in the "optional items" section. That said, many people don't really follow those directions, and instead of the aluminum cuffs, elect to bodywork the fairings into each other and into the struts.

My fairing kit didn't include foam, but I used some left over foam to fill the area that you cut away on the rear strut to clear the fuselage when the wings are folded. 10 lbs seems like a crazy amount of foam.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg79 View Post
    I also have the speed fairings and no manual for them. I have an inventory list and that shows 10lbs of foam which I also have. What is the foam used for?

I think that maybe "10 lb" refers to the density of the foam. I seriously doubt that you have 10 lbs of foam!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime