Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many have a BRS ?

Default Re: How many have a BRS ?

I am going by what I read concerning the BRS as for the 800 foot minimum,..as for quote" How aobut a prop breaking and ripping the engine from the plane, rendering it unflyable,end quote" ..I would classify that as structural failure,..
    I never said a BRS wasn't a good thing,..I've owned a few planes/ultralights with BRS's in them ..never had to use one (knocks on wood) didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling because it was on the plane ..but you can bet if I had structural failure I'd be pulling the rip chord no matter what the altitude if there was a BRS on board ..there is always the chance you will get lucky and the deployment will open the canopy to full ,..short of the 800 foot altitude that's recommended for deployment,..maybe the manufacturers listed the 800 foot altitude because they had to present a number?

Chase

Yes ,..I'm on the site now looking for the recommended 800 foot deployment statement I read,.I see this statement on the NASA site".187 peoples lives saved in GA 172 -182 aircraft" altitude at deployment wasn't mentioned ..I'll bet its over 1000 foot AGL...

BRS site lists 238 lives saved ,..the site has been redone since I was last on it ,..and I can not find the statement of the recomended 800 foot deployment.
    They state the best position for an install is pointed down ,..they require photo's of all installations for warrantee to be valid,..they have improved the design now and have a BRS-5 rocket that is to replace all current pre installed repacks,.."DO NOT SEND ROCKETS THROUGH MAIL WITHOUT LICENSE TO DO SO" is the statement concerning repacks to the model 5 rocket,..and it now has a 6 year repack instead of the old 4 year all good

Chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 08-11-2009 at 07:00 PM.

My BRS installation is similar to yours but the lanyard is hidden under the fabric. Weight is 30 lbs reducing my baggage compartment weight to 10 lbs. No big deal as the physical size remains the same so light items can be carried.
    Dick Maddux
    Fox 4-1200
    Milton,Fl
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is an extensive three page discussion on chutes that started in January of this year (and is still being contributed to as of 3/18) in the TeamKitfox Forum - the title is BRS Install photos in Model 3?

One perspective I added in that thread had to do with adverse marketing and sales issues with the two big manufacturers, BRS and Magnum.

Check it out.

BTW, several members have discussed here and in other threads that they see the value of a chute in the event of "a major structural failure", usually described as a wing coming off or similar problem.
    My question to the group is "When/where has any Kitfox experienced such a structural failure that happened spontaneously, meaning not as the result of striking something like a tree or another airplane OR entering into severe weather conditions such as a T-storm OR aerobatics/structural g-overloading?"
    The reason I ask is that I've heard many times over the years that this type of failure has never occurred with a Kitfox and thought the group might have some background on this because it pertains so much to the chute question...

Rich Cunningham
    Model IV-1200 / 912
    Last edited by rcsfca; 03-21-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Personally I am guarding against a mid air more than structural failure. To me it is cheap insurance given the relative low cost to install in a Kitfox.

or pilot incapacitation or extremely hazardous terrain. It was a plus when I purchased my aircraft. I hope I never have to use it ! It would the last shot ! It is nice to know it is there.
    Dick

In April 2017 a Titan tornado took off from Spanway Washington. At about 100 ft the plane started to roll right and the the pilot realize the ailerons were not connected. As he rolled past 90 degrees he deployed the chute. The kevlar bridle wrapped up in the prop so it lowerd theplane nose first into the dirt and he broke both ankles but survived and otherwise unsurvivalbe event.
    1) midairs, (2) failure of flight controls(3) loss of control vfr into IMC, are just some of the reasons to have a BRS in the plane, not just for structural failure.
    (4) engine failure over hostile terrain large rocks and tall trees....

Wonder if the Titan pilot's pre flight involved only removing the safety pin from the BRS.....JimChuk

Zadwit,

How do you know the ailerons were not connected. I could find no information other than loss of control after the engine potentially quit. It sounds to me the engine sputtered then he tried to turn back or back to a safe place to pull the chute. Being tall trees he likely did well pulling the chute.
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

I have a brs system that I removed from my classic IV 1050 for wt & bal concerns. Free but for the cost of shipping. It will be made inert and will need to go back to the factory for recert. Some of the lanyard system stayed with the plane and is not available but I’d imagine you can get it from the factory.

Jon
    413 834-0995
    Turners Falls, MA
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!